mercruiser 4.3 Lound sound from Fly Wheel housing (Videos included)

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did not want to hijack the thread from:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/please-help-noise-video-included-620544.htm

But I have a similar problem to the above mentioned.
-Loud banging from rear of engine, put a broomstick on it and it seems to be centralized to the flywheel housing
-This sound happens WITH or WITHOUT drive installed.
-I also have the same starter bogging down when turning the engine symptom as above post, sometimes it will just tick in place and not turn at all although I am not sure if that is a solenoid problem or not.

--Engine at Idle Engine Noise Slight At Idle Video by cox_d79 | Photobucket

--Engine around 1100RPM Engine Noise At Around 1100rpm Video by cox_d79 | Photobucket

We just put in a new engine, replaced gimbal bearings, checked alignment 6 times(again noise is present with drive removed)

My Questions is:
Is there a way to troubleshoot the starter without buying a new one? Can I (please forgive the ridiculous suggestion) start the engine then loosen the starter bolts while its running>? or remove the starter completely after it is running? I am not trying to Mame myself or lose fingers which is why I am seeing if anyone has a good safe method.

Thanks,

-DrCox

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercruiser 4.3 Lound sound from Fly Wheel housing (Videos included)

Howdy,

With any noise at the rear of the engine (with the drive removed) I might be looking at the flywheel and coupler.

The starter is not engaged (or shouldn't be engaged) once the engine starts.

If you think it's still engaged, you need to remove it.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 4.3 Lound sound from Fly Wheel housing (Videos included)

I did not want to hijack the thread from:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/please-help-noise-video-included-620544.htm

But I have a similar problem to the above mentioned.
-Loud banging from rear of engine, put a broomstick on it and it seems to be centralized to the flywheel housing
-This sound happens WITH or WITHOUT drive installed.
-I also have the same starter bogging down when turning the engine symptom as above post, sometimes it will just tick in place and not turn at all although I am not sure if that is a solenoid problem or not.

--Engine at Idle Engine Noise Slight At Idle Video by cox_d79 | Photobucket

--Engine around 1100RPM Engine Noise At Around 1100rpm Video by cox_d79 | Photobucket

We just put in a new engine, replaced gimbal bearings, checked alignment 6 times(again noise is present with drive removed)

My Questions is:
Is there a way to troubleshoot the starter without buying a new one? Can I (please forgive the ridiculous suggestion) start the engine then loosen the starter bolts while its running>? or remove the starter completely after it is running? I am not trying to Mame myself or lose fingers which is why I am seeing if anyone has a good safe method.

Thanks,

-DrCox

Ayuh,.... Pull it off, 'n bench test it,... Look for scrapes or scratches,...

I'm been wrenchin' nearly 50 years, 'n still have All of my extremities,...
No way I'd think of yankin' the starter off a runnin' motor, when ya can barely get to it anyways,...

Who tightened the flywheel to crankshaft nuts,..??
Who tightened the coupler to flywheel bolts,..??
Anybody missin' any Wrenches,..??

Can ya get to, 'n remove the bottom cover,..?? is yer's tin, or plastic,..??