Mercruiser 4.3 alpha drive won't tilt up

lmccollum4

Cadet
I have 1999 Mercruiser 4.3 with an alpha drive in a 1988 Cheeta brand boat. The Bow down works ok, but the Bow up or "trailer" switch does not. When I press the "Trailer" button, I hear a clicking noise. The Bow up button does not do anything at all. I switched the pump wires at the solenoid and by pressing the "down" button, I got the prop back up. I have checked the switch and it doesn't appear to be the switch. Any ideas?

KiLer

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 alpha drive won't tilt up

sounds like the"up" wire is grounding out....get a piece of wire and by-pass it....see if that works....is so...trace the wire back and you'll find where it's shorting.

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like the Up solenoid is shot.. time to replace it.. They're cheap.<br /><br />Scott.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree... if you have 2 independent selenoids replace the UP selenoid ONLY after you'e attempted to jump it with a hot wire directly and you've already cleaned and checked to make sure the ground is in good shape.<br /><br />No uppy uppy using a jumper wire? Replace the up selenoid.<br /><br />Hope this helps you out.

lmccollum4

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions! I jumpered a wire from the hot wire to the "blue and white" up wire and the pump did bring up the prop. Turns out it was the "UP" solenoid.