Mercruiser 3.7L 190 Starter Motor Cannot be removed (Rusted in)

AgentSBond

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Not sure if any of you have experienced this but my starter motor (original to 1986) is seized/rusted into the recess of my flywheel housing. I've removed the two bolts, tried knocking it with a hammer and pulling it with a torque strap clamp. It seems that it Rusted all around the edge of where the flat plate meets the hole. Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas about how it can be removed? Any advised will help. Thank you.
Simon

Attachments

• 20210912_105339[10311].jpg
    20210912_105339[10311].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull drive (part of annual maintenance anyway)
pull motor (45 minute job)
put motor on engine stand
address starter issue
while motor is out: clean bilge, inspect transom, etc.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
per Scott, thats the way to go. Had exactly the same issue on a customers boat. leaking exaust boot sprayed water on everything rusting it in place

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
As you have read pulling the motor maybe on the table

So get some wood bleach, a hand held garden sprayer and soak the entire starter and block. This needs to be done at about 15 minutes intervals for a day.

When your done rinse with a hose and you will find there will be little or no rust. It will not damage your wiring not paint.

The active ingredient is oxyliac acid, marvelous stuff, also used in hull cleaners.

Get a two pound hammer, a large pipe. Place the pipe on the outer edge of the starter and drive off the starter. Think all the lines of driving a nail..A big one. Ohh one thought remember hard and Sharp blows heavy taps?

The corrosion will break free or the starter housing will break. If the housing does break..well your back to pulling the engine.

The above sounds crude but If done right it will work. Take your time and be patient, woodbleach is available at ace hardware.

Wear a mask and gloves, the stuff can sting the sinuses...

Below is a vid of this stuff at work, if he sprayed the trailer rust that to would have disappeared.

Last edited: