Mercruiser 3.7 (470) wont turn all the way

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Back up what?

The 2 motors I have work well, burn little fuel and haven't given me a bit of trouble.

Pal, I don't know what you're issue is but I just don't have issues with these motors that some of you seem to have.
You might want to reread my post and who I was replying to 🙄

Back up what?

The 2 motors I have work well, burn little fuel and haven't given me a bit of trouble.

Pal, I don't know what you're issue is but I just don't have issues with these motors that some of you seem to have.
I don't think his post/quote was referring to you.

Thomas1981

Cadet
Here is an update about my engine problem. I decided to do a test run before I decide what to do with my engine. The first opportunity was beginning of May. The engine run good and top speed is 55 km/h. But I noticed white smoke was coming out of the carter ventilation. Also the engine used 2L of oil in one afternoon. So the blow by on the piston rings is too big for this engine to be used. I took of the head and noticed a 'notch/groof' in one cylinder on the position where the rings were touching the cylinder wall for 5 years, caused by rust. I will now take out the pistons to see if the rings are stuck. Then decide if it possible to restore this engine. This notch is placed at the beginning of the stroke.
The question is can the engine function with this notch?
Can it be fixed by overhauling the engine with 0.03 or 0.06 bore or is the damage too deep.