Mercruiser 3.0LX doesn't start after 1 and a half of sitting on a trailer

I just bought a small boat with Mercruiser 3.0LX. The engine was running a year an a half ago and it was flushed with fresh water after each use. It was properly drained and winterized at the end on the season. I tried to start it today but it could't. Here are some facts:

The tank is 3/4 full and stabilizer was added to the gas.
The battery, the starter and all electronics seem to be working.

I am thinking that the problem must be somewhere around fuel system. What do you recommend I do to get it running?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JP

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 3.0LX doesn't start after 1 and a half of sitting on a trailer

So your saying its a 2012 ? year, serial number, etc.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

MERCRUISER - (3.0L H.P. (1998M ))
Serial No: 0L693701 Model No: 4111021N2 Catalog No: 804862 99

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Check for spark at the coil wire, if no spark check purple wire at ign switch for 12v, if 12v there, test for 12 v at the purple wire at the coil.
If there is spark and you suspect fuel ,check fuel sep/filter, anti-syphon valve at gas tank.
Untitled31_zpse65ca40b.jpg

Should I add more stabilizer to the gas tank?

Bondo

Staff member

Should I add more stabilizer to the gas tank?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Addin' stabilizer to old gas, Don't help anything,....

If ya think it's a lack of fuel, dump a splash down the carb's throat, 'n try it,...
It oughta fire up on that splash,...

If ya think the fuel in the tank is Rotten,...
Plumb a remote tank, with fresh gas, to the fuel pump,...

79Renken

Seaman Apprentice

You definitely need to identify if this is a fuel or spark issue. I wouldn't think 1 1/2 year old fuel would cause a no start issue... although bad fuel may cause it not to run well. Check to ensure you have spark and if you do trace the fuel down and ensure it's getting fuel. The carb could have issues from sitting... but diagnose it first before taking action.

harleyman1975

Ensign

You are hooked up to muffs or in the water...right? You don't want to even turn it over without water to the lower unit to lubricate the water pump.

I was hooked up to muffs although I still worried how much cranking of an angine that doesn't start I should be doing? Can that wear something out?

I am going to check the spark first. I guess I can just connect a multimeter to the various points recommended here.

If it's fuel....I read somewhere that splashing some fresh gas into the carb can help. Should I do that if the problem is not electrical? I think of changing the fuel filter, I feel like I should check what it looks like so I might as well change it. I also read that hooking a small tank of fresh gas directly to the fuel pump can be done. So much to consider...so little time:)

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was hooked up to muffs although I still worried how much cranking of an angine that doesn't start I should be doing? Can that wear something out?

well, you can destroy your starter. allow a cool down phase when exessive cranking.

remove the flame arrestor and let a second person pump the throttle lever - does the carb squirt fuel out the acclerator pump ?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

.I read somewhere that splashing some fresh gas into the carb can help..... I also read that hooking a small tank of fresh gas directly to the fuel pump can be done

yes, and you read both of those items earlier in this thread, post #7 from bond-o...he won't steer you wrong

you're on the right track with using your voltmeter, too

Thank you for all of your advice. I got her started and it she runs like a champ.