Mercruiser 3.0L vs. anything bigger??

rv8tor

Cadet
Hi all. I am new to boating and to this forum, and am looking for a 18' or 19' bowrider for the family.

I would like the capability to be able to a skiier (or two?) and/or a wakeboarder. We are a family of 4 with a tall teenage son and a smaller tween.

I have heard from several places that the 3.0L Merc. might not be sufficient for my needs. I would like to hear from 3.0 owners who use this engine/drive for skiing/wakeboarding, and I would like to know of honest opnions about this engine choice.

There are an aweful lot of nice boats for sale with this engine, and a smaller percentage for sale with the 4.3L Merc or bigger.

I know the 4.3 would certainly do the trick, but I would hate to pass up on a very nice boat with the 3.0 if that engine is, in fact, sufficient.

Whadduya say guys??

Jeff

Gryphon

Seaman
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L vs. anything bigger??

I have a 19' Bayliner 195 Discovery with a 3.0L and it does the job. There are tricks to help such as trim tabs (for skiing) and 4 or 5 blade lower pitch prop to help with the hole shot, or tower. Only thing I would worry about is having 7 people every time when doing that. It works fine for us with 2-4 people in the boat.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

oops! has a 140 hp 3 litre in his 19 bayliner and we pull a skier with 3 adults in the boat all the time. It's not a boat you can load up with 6 and expect it to be a rocket but with 4 people it runs fine and pulls a skier and tube without any problem . The bonus is they are easy on gas. If you buy used try and weigh the boat as if the foam is full of water it will slow the boat down with the extra weight.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

For a 19' I'd definitely want a 4.3. For a 17 or 18 a 3.0 would be adequate.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Have an 18'3" boat and a 3.0 wouldn't do. The 4.3 is just adequate for our family of 4. I wish I had the optional 5.0mpi now. Best way to really decide is to test one of each. My idea of adequate and someone elses are likely very different as I have learned on this forum. Some people swear by their 4 cylinder and others do not. The fuel savings is marginal though so don't hang your hat on that.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a 17' with a 3.0 in it. It does just fine, its actually a little hot rod.

I had a 20' with a 3.0 also, it worked ok, maybe a bit underpowered.

The 17' pulls me up 220lb on a deep water slalom ski just fine.

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 18 footer with a 3.0L/135 hp inboard/outboard. We are new to water sports. Last time out, my seven years old son (50 lbs.) got on a kneeboard for the first time and we had plenty of power with two kids and three adults on board. We put the adults in the bow. Later that day my niece (14 yrs old - 110 lbs.) got on a wakeboard for the first time and it pulled her just fine. My wife and one of the niece went tubing too.
We spend half a day driving around and only used up 3 or 4 gallons of fuel. On that trip we had me, my wife, my mother, two nieces, and my son. I think we total about 500 lbs. The boat was full with food, drinks, a wakeboard, a kneeboard, and a two person tube.

In my opinion, the 3.0L did just fine for me. I'm happy with what I have and there is not need for me to move up to anything larger. I hope this help.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through the same decision on a 19ft boat only it was between a 4.3L V6 and a 5.0L V8. We like to pull two and three tubes at a time so a 3.0L was not an option.

We ended up with the 5.0L and I really like having the extra power. Pulls up a slalom skier with 6 on board with ease. I would recommend the 4.3L, you can always just use less throttle and I would bet there will be times with the 3.0L you will wish you had more power.

Driven at cruise the fuel usage seems pretty close to our 1983 140hp outboard. A current 4.3L or 3.0L would be better but then I'm not driving it to work every day.

rv8tor

Cadet

Thanks guys for the input. I actually went out yesterday afternoon to look at a 19' Stingray that had a 4.3L. Bought it last night and going to pick it up today. I am glad I found the 4.3L I think. It's always easier to throttle back if need be than to go for throttle that you don't have!

As I said before, I am new to boating ownership/maintenance so I'll be spending a lot of time here on this forum!

Jeff

Oh BTW, I see here that I have been designated a Cadet. What's required to graduate and be able to throw my hat up in the air??

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh BTW, I see here that I have been designated a Cadet. What's required to graduate and be able to throw my hat up in the air??

Post count...plain and simple.

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like a good one. We like pics :)