Mercruiser 3.0L TKS 2006 - exhaust Manifold Problem

stacymd

Cadet
Hi everyone,
Need some suggestions here as my best friend and mechanic and I are out of ideas.
I purchased a 2007 Bayliner 192 Cuddy last July. It ran fine all summer. However, I did notice a slight leak at head gasket( external) over the side cover. The boat was never overheated when I was running. So, this June we pulled the head. Checked it out and no warp. Fixed a couple of valve seats and checked all valves. All surfaces within spec. Put it all back together by the book, and it ran like a top in the yard. No leaks no issues. However, when I popped her into the water, and under load, as soon as I got her up to about 3000RPM, I heard exhaust leak noise coming from manifold. I pushed her a little too hard and the noise all of a sudden got super loud. I could feel air under the manifold at the middle 2 exhaust ports.

Took her back to yard and mechanic and I took off the manifold. We could see that the manifold blew out exactly in the area I felt, and it was the 2 center exhaust ports. We also noticed, that the head gasket buckled in that same area. We took the head off, and inspected. The head gasket blew out in the same spot as the manifold(externally). Luckily, no damage or water got into the motor.

Got new gaskets and checked the head again and put that back together. I noticed on the manifold, that we missed a spot of corrosion right at the 2 exhaust ports where the gasket blew out. With flat edge I could see a slight wobble there. It was hardened rust and flaked off once we hit it tool. Cleaned it all surfaces well and all was good and true on the manifold and head.

Put it all back together again. All snugged up according to book. Ran in yard on hose, ran like a top.
Took it back out in the water, and I will be dammed. Leaked in the same spot under load.

I do not understand why. Everything is torqued to spec. All surfaces flat. As soon as it gets up to about 2800 Rpm the exhaust starts to leak and it is loud.

I have not pulled the manifold again to check the head gasket. I ran it slow yesterday at about 2700 rpms and no noise.

Do I just replace the manifold? Do I resurface the manifold? It is not leaking, it is not cracked. The boat was mostly used in freshwater in NC. I used it in Saltwater last season.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Mark

stacymd

Cadet
Thank you so much for the information;. I was searching this site and did not find that. Did your friend have issue with the manifold gasket blowing out as well? I had a funny feeling it was something with timing. Figures. The top of the carb cover gives timing and of course it would be incorrect for this serial number.

The serial number is 1a003057. Does anyone have access to the SB for this issue? I cannot find it and the PDF here will not link to anything.

Thanks again. You are all the best...

stacymd

Cadet
Sorry..Once I logged in, I was able to pull the SB PDF down and open it. My only concern is that the SB does not match my engine serial number range. However, the problem fits 100% the problem described. Will pull the manifold again and check the head gasket. Hopefully, the head gasket is not blown again and I can just retime, replace manifold gasket and pray it all works.

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry..Once I logged in, I was able to pull the SB PDF down and open it. My only concern is that the SB does not match my engine serial number range. However, the problem fits 100% the problem described. Will pull the manifold again and check the head gasket. Hopefully, the head gasket is not blown again and I can just retime, replace manifold gasket and pray it all works.

I had that same concern as well for the bulletin... but after pulling the head 2 times it was worth a try... and it worked great... now over 100 hours on it and no issues... we did not have the manifold gasket issue you had but I think once you get your timing in order it will not be an issue

stacymd

Cadet
Thank you so very much for getting back to me. My best friend has been a mechanic for over 30 years and has his own auto shop and has been an avid boater for years. We were both scratching our heads and could not figure out what was up here. Glad you figured it out. I will get the boat back to the shop and pull the manifold off and check the head gasket. I am hoping that since I kept it below 2800 RPMs and did not push it yesterday, that the head gasket is still intact. If it is, hopefully, the manifold gasket is in good shape as well. If not, will replace and reset timing to 0 and then test under load.

I was supposed to be in Cape Cod these past 2 weeks but have been playing boat mechanic the last week.

Thanks again... :)