mercruiser 3.0L oil

91whitestang

Seaman Apprentice
Oil filler cap says 10w-30 for oil to use. I've read some different things on the internet to use thicker oil, is that true? I just have a mercruiser 3.0L 130hp, 1989 Maxum 17ft.

Figured I'd ask the experts here and just make sure, as I want to change the oil and want to make sure to put the right stuff back in it. Thanks.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: mercruiser 3.0L oil

Just a few days into my return from a "leave of absence" and already an oil thread. Sweet! You can get hundreds of threads about it with a search. Short story: either 1) use what the manufacturer calls for or 2) use whatever you want to. Most of us do the former...

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another oily thread. Here's my opinion (and what my manual for the same engine in my 1988 says: if you aren't using the Quicksilver 25w-40, use straight weight 30 or 40.

My oil cap also states 10W30, but manual for my engine is SAE 30 or 40 depending on ambient temp? I figured a PO earlier replaced the oil cap off something else and so I went by the book. Guess mine isn't the only one!

91whitestang

Seaman Apprentice

Alright sorry guys for pushing the wrong buttons....didn't mean to stir things up just new to the boating scene, not new to the car scene. Obviously boats and cars are different and what my 91 ford mustang probably came stock for oil or what it says to use for oil, isn't what I use as I am putting down a ton more power and need to use the most expensive royal purple oil I can. I'll just try to do some research I guess, next time I'll think twice before asking or pushing buttons. thanks.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whitestang, don't worry. I ran 10w-30 for years with no problem. :D

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Alright sorry guys for pushing the wrong buttons....didn't mean to stir things up just new to the boating scene... next time I'll think twice before asking or pushing buttons. thanks.

No need for any type of apology, friend as no buttons were pushed. It's just that oil threads are among those threads that get posted, emotional, then very emotional, then over the top emotional, then locked.

That said, steer clear of synthetic oils...:D:cool: