Mercruiser 3.0L Engine Problems!!

jveschio

Recruit
A little background...I did not perform and on Mercruiser 3.0L (circa 1994, alpha drive). Nor did I fog the engine before winter storage in PA. We pulled the boat out of storage and performed an oil change and replaced the oil filter. The engine ran great. Once we got the boat out into the water it started up on the first try and we ran for about 20 minutes up river. All of a sudden the engine seized up. Not a hard seize but it did nonetheless. It did start right back up and then wuit again. We waited 30 minutes and restarted the engine. It tirned over slow but started and ran all the way back to the boat launch where it quit again right near the launch. <br /><br />Last summer we had some problems with water in our gas line. This last problem seemed nothing like that. It didnt really struggle and stall out. It quit. Could it be the oil pump? Dirty oil? Anybody have any ideas. We were thinking we would have to lubricate the pistons and manually turn the engine over but if the engine ran for 20 minutes at a time and then "seized" would this be the problem? Any ideas? Please help!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L Engine Problems!!

Originally posted by jveschio:<br />I did not perform
My appologies to your wife or significant other . . . :D I am guessing you were trying to say you did not winterize, right?<br /><br />Define seize.

vipzach

Lieutenant

How does your outdrive oil look? How does the motor oil look, milky? If you pull the plugs what do they look like? Welcome to iboats!

tommays

Admiral

50/50 chance motor or outdrive <br /><br />i would say at this point you have to see if theres any oil in your outdrive ?<br /><br />or theres any water in your motor by pulling the sparkplugs<br /><br /><br />tommays

jveschio

Recruit

We did "winterize" but not fog the engine. We did everything else required. The oil looks great when i pulled the filter off.<br /><br />I don't want you guys to get caught up with the word "seize". It acted like that the first time, but started back up. I wouldnt define that as a real seize. I have not had a chance to pull the sparkplugs. <br /><br />I was alos told that if it ran for 15 min great...stopped, then ran for 15 min great again then thats not anywhere near a seize. I would not define it as a stall wither since it did not struggle and then shut off...<br /><br />Could it be the choke? Could it be the carberator?

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

It could be lots of things. You need to go back to the spark and check forward from there. Does the crank turn manually?

Bondo

Staff member

It COULD Be the Outdrive...........

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

When you have the plugs out can you roll the crank by hand?

Bondo

Staff member

There are 8 Nuts holding the outdrive to the Boat..............<br /><br />Remove these 8 Nuts,+ Pull the Drive OFF..........<br /><br />You Can't Fix Something if you Don't Know What's Wrong.................<br /><br />You're Dumping Money into the Motor,+ Still have No Clue as to whether it's the Motor,.... Or the Drive..............<br /><br />If You want to Play Mechanic,............. You've Got To Follow the Rules...........<br /><br />Rule #1;<br />Diagnosis 1st,........ Then Fix the Problem.............<br /><br /><br />BTW,..... AFTER the Drive has been Removed,.. Then you Should be able to roll the motor over by Hand,..........<br />A Wrench on the Alt. Nut will sometimes work, if there's No Bolt on the end of the Crankshaft........<br />It turns Clockwise,... Or, Tightening the Nut............

jveschio

Recruit

Well it looks like the mixture was a bit thick when we pulled the sparkplugs off. We replaced the sparkplugs and took a look at the choke. Big problem now. It will not turn over at all. It does seem to be seized. How can we lubricate and hand crank the engine? Please help!

jveschio

Recruit

Yes, we can roll the crank by hand when the plugs are out. It is pretty tough tho. We used a turkey baster to inject a little bit of oil into the cylinders as well, per a mechanics advice. Should it have been that tough to turn it? We also realize that our choke may have discnnected when we ran it.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Like Bondo says remove the drive. You need to see which is tight, (the engine or the drive leg)

KaGee

Admiral

"If You want to Play Mechanic,............. "<br /><br />
36_11_6.gif

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

It rolls over kinda tough. Check and see if the starter will turn it over. I assume you have checked the outdrive.

jveschio

Recruit

Update:<br /><br />Our marina mechanic suggested not to take the drive off just yet. Again we can turn it over on our own. We have done so several times but the starter will not turn it. I think we need to look at the starter possibly altho it sounds like ti works fine. it really torques the engine when we try to start it. Our marina mechanic is going to take a look at it tomorrow.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bad starters do not make the engine stop. Bad engines, ignition, fuel system, and drives make engines stop.<br />When you turned the engine by hand, did you remove all the spark plugs and turn the engine at least a full revolution? If not, you could just be getting water in the engine from a bad exhaust manifold or riser and not know it's there yet. Just to move the engine a few degrees will only tell you it's not locked up completely, but not if there is water on top of the piston or not.<br />The water on top of a piston would not be enough to show in the oil if it didn't get a chance to leak past the rings.