mercruiser 3.0

jwolfe2323

Cadet
Took my 2006 bayliner out today, it idles fine sitting at the dock. When I get going it seems fine, but when I bring the throttle back it dies. It starts right up again and idles. In gear at low speeds it dies. Am I just looking at a new cap and rotor, maybe plugs and wires, or could it be something much worse?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 3.0

Could use a bit more info about what your working on other then it's a 3.0L, serial numbers are great. There are about 3 different ignition systems used on the engine. It could be something as simple as your idle rpm is to low and needs to be adjusted up some.

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

has it been sitting for a while? or have you ran it this summer at all ?

jwolfe2323

Cadet

I had it out about 3 weeks ago with no problem. Yesterday I pulled the cap and scraped the electrodes a little then went back out to test it and it seemed fine. Tried again last night and had the same problem. Only dies in gear at low rpm.

alldodge

Staff member

Serial number is-OW373819. Family is-5M9XM03.02VC.

This works, it's a 1998 with EST ignition. I'm out of town and don't have the same capabilities to finding things. If you go here Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years! This area allows you to find your engine and year. Look for your engine and see what the idle rpm is, probably around 600-700. The carb should have an ajustment screw on the side which can be turned with a screw drive.

Maybe someone else viewing can help out

Edit: changed to 1998

Last edited:

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our 2007 Bayliner started idling rough and dying in gear at about 2 years old. All I did was turn up the idle a snick.

jwolfe2323

Cadet

Thanks for the input, I checked ifle speed and it was good, about 750. I changed the cap and rotor today. Problen is gone now. Thanks again.

jwolfe2323

Cadet

Looks like I jumped the gun on my last post. After I changed the cap and rotor I took it out and tested it for about 20 mins and everything worked fine. Went back out later, ran for about 1 1/2 hours at about 20 kts. No problem at speed, but when coming back to the dock, it died when I brought the rpms down. Running rougher than before. Now I will need to troubleshoot the fuel system.