Mercruiser 3.0 - Water in oil - troubleshoot?

Mikejr

Seaman
My boat is 2005 Bayliner 175, with a 3.0 Mercruiser I/O set up (Factory standard), with relatively low hours, but unknown due to no hour meter. I would estimate in the 200 hour range.

We have had the boat for 3 years and last summer, mid season after 2 weeks of daily use (July) and then a few occasional uses later in July and August (i.e. one or two short lunch trips to the lake - boat has never seen salt water, only fresh water use), the oil turned milky or chocolate milkshake colored, but with no noticeable lack or change in performance. I noticed the water intrusion on a pre-trip check. I changed the oil out, replaced the filter and ran it on the muffs...oil fouled within a few minutes. Following that, I winterized the boat, with fresh oil and filter and had been meaning to get it done for some time...well it's spring now and time to get it done.

Two other data points:
1. There was signs of water in two other places, but the mechanic indicated they were likely not worrisome...maybe a mistake. We saw light chocolate colored 'pudding' inside the oil fill cap in the top of the engine and in the tube than connects the back of the top of the block to the flash suppressor (PCV valve??). With the oil always clean as a whistle he was unable to trace the cause of this buildup.
2. During the July trip, I noticed oil suddenly appear in the bilge (I do keep it clean so I noticed it right away), but it was a relatively small amount, spread inside by lots of water from the kids draining off in the boat. I could not trace a source of the oil as all fittings, lines, hoses and the bottom of the engine were dry/clean.

Given all the posts I've read, I don't think the block is cracked (given timing of when the problem started, but maybe just wishful thinking) and was initially hoping/thinking head gasket, but I'm now generally unsure where to start the process.

I am reasonably skilled at following directions (service manual etc), but am not an experienced mechanic by any stretch.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Mike

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 - Water in oil - Help please

Hi Mike, up at the top of the page there is a "technical info" post by the stickies... You'll find a good post there about water in the oil.

Mikejr

Seaman

Good link, thanks. I saw those and was hoping someone with more wisdom than I would be able to make an educated guess as to whether the appearance of the problem mid-season still leads to a cracked block as a probability or if the other more hopeful problems (gaskets) are likely it.

If you or someone point me to directions on how to do the pressure test, I will give the pressurization test a go this afternoon.

Thank you.
Mike

Bondo

Staff member

Good link, thanks. I saw those and was hoping someone with more wisdom than I would be able to make an educated guess as to whether the appearance of the problem mid-season still leads to a cracked block as a probability or if the other more hopeful problems (gaskets) are likely it.

If you or someone point me to directions on how to do the pressure test, I will give the pressurization test a go this afternoon.

Thank you.
Mike

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... How much Extra oil did ya take out of it at the oil change,..??
What'd the drained oil Look like,..??

How High, on the dipstick was/ is the oil level, Ever,..??

Mikejr

Seaman

After the oil drained it was around 3.5 litres and the dipstick only showed a marginal, if any, increase in level. It certainly wasn't noticeable as in on my it's up 50% of the fill zone or anything. Also, when I dumped the oil and refilled and restarted on the muffs, it went immediately cloudy, but didn't fill more than what I put in - or within what I could tell going from a 5l jug into a 4l milk container...all around 3.5-3.8L.

I did sligtly overfill it once, maybe 10-15% above the top line level, but when I called local mechanics they said that shouldn't be a problem (plus some would be taken up by the filter, so not to worry about pumping out that small an amount).

Thank you !!!

Bondo

Staff member

After the oil drained it was around 3.5 litres and the dipstick only showed a marginal, if any, increase in level. It certainly wasn't noticeable as in on my it's up 50% of the fill zone or anything. Also, when I dumped the oil and refilled and restarted on the muffs, it went immediately cloudy, but didn't fill more than what I put in - or within what I could tell going from a 5l jug into a 4l milk container...all around 3.5-3.8L.

I did sligtly overfill it once, maybe 10-15% above the top line level, but when I called local mechanics they said that shouldn't be a problem (plus some would be taken up by the filter, so not to worry about pumping out that small an amount).

Thank you !!!

Ayuh,.... Then you Don't have a cracked block,....

Yer t-stat might not be workin', or ya don't run it hard enough, long enough to steam off the natural Condensation that forms in the motor....

Ya oughta be seein' 'bout 160? to 170?....

Also, never Over-fill it,... that's worse than low.... airiation causes milkiness too...
Anywhere 'tween the 2 lines is Perfect...

Mikejr

Seaman

Sounds promising - I will pull the head off with my mechanic to see if the head gasket is bad...seems like the easiest first step before more serious investigation. Any other advice on how to proceed to troubleshoot would be welcome. Thank you for taking time to reply above...much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds promising - I will pull the head off with my mechanic to see if the head gasket is bad...seems like the easiest first step before more serious investigation. Any other advice on how to proceed to troubleshoot would be welcome. Thank you for taking time to reply above...much appreciated.

What on earth are you talkin' about,..??

Don't pull the head off, there's NO Reason too....

If the oil level is NOT Rising, there AIN'T a Problem....

Yer seein' Condensation,....
The milkiness on the dipstick is probably airiated oil from bein' Over-full...

'n if ya Pull the Head, ya can't do a pressure test of the coolin' system, which would be the next diagnostic step,...

IF ya had a problem.... Which ya don't, from what you've said....

Mikejr

Seaman

It has a new stat and temperature has always been in that range.

When I first saw the milky oil, I changed it at home and rand it on the muffs for a few minutes and it immediately went milky again. That time it wasn't over full. Does that make sense it could be from condensation? thanks!

Levithan

Banned
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 - Water in oil - troubleshoot?

You won't see milky oil after a few mins of running on muffs with new oil, definetley not condensation.
I would definetley check your head gasket, have you done a compression test, leakdown test?
And a hairline crack in the block or gasket will make the oil milky and not raise the level noticeably in a short period of time.
You will also not see normal condensation on the dipstick.
Take it from me, I am a mechanic and have seen both condensation and blown head gaskets/cracked blocks.
From what you have described you have one of the later two.

Mikejr

Seaman

Ok thank you so much for taking time to reply. I've got a very skilled mechanic who will help me take the head off next week to see what's up. We'll hope for head gasket...Do you know any places in Canada that sell long or short blocks at reasonable prices? The best price I've seen so far is $4,600 for a complete, new repower.

Levithan

Banned

Probably about right if you want to go new everything.
I think that is engine and outdrive though, you may just need the engine.
Kijiji is a great place to look for that kind of stuff.
Also, it may be cheaper to find an 80s boat with a 3.0L and alpha one in good running order and pull them.
Sell the outdrive for 700-1000(depending on condition) or keep it for spare parts.

Mikejr

Seaman

An update to this post. Head is cracked, apparently in multiple places, but the block appears to be in good shape and the water damage is not an issue inside the cylinders. Now trying to source a replacement head. The OEM price is about 1050 and we've found a used one for 450. Any suggestions on where to find a better deal on a new OEM cylinder head?

Thanks to all for the advice.

Levithan

Banned

Not glad to see it's a crack but figured as much.
I was going to say ebay but I just looked and there are none.
Have you tried kijiji?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

can you tell a little about the boat history ? very surprizing to hear a multiple cracked head mid season where freezing damage can be excluded. did you ever overheat it severly ?

best regards

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

An update to this post. Head is cracked, apparently in multiple places, but the block appears to be in good shape and the water damage is not an issue inside the cylinders. Now trying to source a replacement head. The OEM price is about 1050 and we've found a used one for 450. Any suggestions on where to find a better deal on a new OEM cylinder head?

Thanks to all for the advice.

I either would get a used head, and take it to a machine shop for rebuild or a rebuilt/reman head .

Found one right here at iBoats! Cylinder Head Assembly 2.5L/3.0L, GM for Volvo Penta, Mercruiser 936-810840 936-5544, OMC Sterndrive Cobra - Sierra 18-4489 - iboats

I also found one at Doug Russell, eBasicpower and others. These are approx the same price as your "used" one. (I wouldn't pay more than about $150-200 for a used one because you're going to have about $300+ more in it after rebuild)

I hope you or your mechanic pressure checked the block before removing the head (although that would have revealed the cracked head and maybe masked a block leak.

Once the head is installed and torqued down, you SHOULD pressure check the cooling system. pump it up to 20 PSI or so.

If it doesn't hold, you have a leak somewhere else.......

Cheers,

Rick

Mikejr

Seaman

I either would get a used head, and take it to a machine shop for rebuild or a rebuilt/reman head .

Found one right here at iBoats! Cylinder Head Assembly 2.5L/3.0L, GM for Volvo Penta, Mercruiser 936-810840 936-5544, OMC Sterndrive Cobra - Sierra 18-4489 - iboats

I also found one at Doug Russell, eBasicpower and others. These are approx the same price as your "used" one. (I wouldn't pay more than about $150-200 for a used one because you're going to have about $300+ more in it after rebuild)

I hope you or your mechanic pressure checked the block before removing the head (although that would have revealed the cracked head and maybe masked a block leak.

Once the head is installed and torqued down, you SHOULD pressure check the cooling system. pump it up to 20 PSI or so.

If it doesn't hold, you have a leak somewhere else.......

Cheers,

Rick

Rick,

I assume pressure testing (we just got the new head on today), means sealing the various cooling system hoses and then adding pressure...but where do we add it? We put pressure into each cylinder through the plugs and didn't find anything leaking. Should we have added pressure somewhere else?

Thank you very much.
Mike

Mikejr

Seaman

An update for all the great help on this post.

Head has been replaced and I took the boat out this week for a shake-out cruise. All seemed good after a slow and steady progression of adding power and duration of runs. In fact it was nearly perfect...until we got back and my wife was putting stuff into the ski locker and asked if it matter there was oil there...****...I looked in the bilge, which I checked 2x while driving, and there was oil.

Once we got home and I started the clean up process, I had about a litre of oil in there. There was a steady leak coming from the rocker cover gasket.

Replaced it today with the FelPro synthetic gasket instead of the crappy OEM cork gasket I just bought from mercruiser. Now waiting for it to dry and will test run tomorrow.

Looks like it's only going to be a cracked head from the previous owner (i'm certain it didn't freeze while I've owned it) 3 years ago, that took a few seasons to work it's way open.

Thanks all for the help and I'll put a final post up once I truly get it fixed.