Mercruiser 3.0 TKS Alternator Question

deepghosh

Cadet
Hey all,

I'm looking to extend the runtime of my 24V MinnKota Powerdrive V2. I currently have 2 group 24 batteries (couldn't fit anything bigger), and in current or wind I get about 2-3 hours before I start losing power. I'm looking into the MinnKota Alternator/Charger (MK-2-DC) to allow my engine alternator to charge the batteries to gain a little bit more time on the water, but I want to know if idling the engine would provide enough amps to make it worth it. I've read there's a "cut-in" rpm where the alternator starts charging and then continues to charge once I dial back to idle, but wanted to see if any of you had any more information on the topic (i.e. how many amps does the alternator provide at idle once I reach the cut-in rpms, etc). Putting the engine in gear makes me go too fast to troll. I have a 2006 Mercruiser 3.0 with the 65-amp alternator. Thanks in advance

alldodge

Staff member
It will change at idle but there is no info on how much. There is a ALT test at 1500-2000 rpm's which should be at least 30 amps. So if you can get 20 that would be to bad.

If your willing to go high dollar can switch to Lithium Ion bats. That change fast and can provide full output amps down to about 10% change remaning without damage. That said one bat can run $1000