Mercruiser 3.0 stalling plus fuel coming out vent

Cal195

Seaman Apprentice
Here goes, I really hope someone can help me, this has been going on for the past 2 seasons, and its driving me crazy. My engine starts easy and everytime I attempt it, the problem is after running it in the water for awhile the motor will start missing real bad and will eventually shut down and its almost impossible to re-start, usually requiring a tow back to the dock. I rebuilt the carb, complete tune up, thought it was a choke problem, but now I no longer think so. Also lately I have been noticing fuel coming from the vent, is this normal? I have to open the gas cap to relieve pressue to get the fuel to stop leaking. The last time it stalled and we were sitting waiting for a tow I noticed quite a bit running out and this was with only 3/4 full tank. Could this be a vapor lock isssue? I finally took it to a local sea ray dealer and all he did was give me another tune up, I really dont think this is the fix It needs. It's to the point where I no longer want to take it out and bother someone for a tow......a BIG thanks in advance.:facepalm:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 stalling plus fuel coming out vent

there should be no way to put pressure into the gas tank.the tank vent goes right into the atmosphere.

NHGuy

Captain

What year and fuel delivery system? Electric fuel pump? Mechanical? If it has the clear tube from the pump to the carb is it empty? Or is there gas in there? Gas in the clear line means it's on limp home mode and needs a replacement fuel pump.
There should not be pressure in a vented tank, something ain't right.

Cal195

Seaman Apprentice

Its a 1987 / Mechanical System. I will check the tube ASAP !! It seemed to get worse when I replaced the fuel cap. The Fuel pump is about the only thing I have not replaced since getting this boat 3 years ago....Thanks for all the help. This just gets very frustrating(Being Towed)