Mercruiser 3.0 shifting problem

I have a 2000 Bayliner Capri 1952 with Mercruiser 3.0 and Alpha generation II. I just did cable adjustment and I am experiencing strange symptoms. When I try to start with shifter in the forward position, the boat acts if the ignition was cut off. When I move the handle into the center position, this goes away although I can start because the engine is cold and I cannot add throttle. I thought the cut off switch had to be the problem, even though I tested it before and it was working. I disconnected the switch but the boat is still doing the same thing. What could be the reason for this weird behavior?
The shift cable that goes to the outdrive (I think it is called lower cable although it is mounted on top of the shifting plate) is few months old and was adjusted to the required 6 inches. The other shift cable (which I think is called lower cable and is mounted below the other cable and behind shift assist) that goes to the control and the throttle cable are old. Could they be contributing to this situation? I am puzzled by what could be switching the ignition off besides the cut off switch. I am going to recheck the upper shift cable adjustment but could that be the problem.Please advise what I could try.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If I`m reading it correctly you NOT putting the control handel in throttle only position to start the motor.

I am attempting to do so by moving the handle forward with the button pushed in. My main suspect is the switch inside the control box which is activated by the button. While I am there I think I will change the cables too because they are 14 years old. I this is all it is.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
No switch activated by the button, it's purely mechanical. (assume you are referring to the 'throttle only' button.)

So, to clarify... If you have the control in forward, the engine cranks but doesn't fire, yes? It will fire, but only if you have the control in the 'neutral, no throttle' position. You have eliminated the neutral safety switch by connecting the 2 yellow/red wires that go to it together, yes? What about the ignition safety switch? (some call it a 'kill' switch), should be also in the control box, wire colours are purple. Join those together and see how it goes.

As for the cable being 14 years old. Should still be in great shape. Both shift and throttle cables in my boat are more than 20 years old and still in perfect condition.

Chris.........

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
A little confused here, but the neutral safety switch prevents the STARTER from operating, so if it turns over with the TO button pushed in and will not if you push the control forward without pushing the TO, then it would appear that it is working properly.