Mercruiser 3.0 shift problems

donnyboy204b

Cadet
Due to health problems my Mercruiser 3.0 has sit in my carport for a year, started periodically, but not put into the water. Last week I took my boat out for the first time in a year, it started fine but wouldn't go into reverse ! I brought it home and checked it while running and it goes into forward gear fine but when I attempt reverse the 'safety switch'stops the engine. I have removed and checked my shifter and it seems fine. The last time I used my boat, last year, it shifted into reverse fine. It hasn't been moved since. What can my problem(s) be ? Thank You.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 shift problems

The drive shift cable is probably corroded and stiff and causes the engine to die because of the shift interrupt switch. Sounds like time for a new cable.

donnyboy204b

Cadet

Thanks Don,<br />Do I have to remove lower unit to do this ? I'm 'hoping' to not have to put it into a repair shop, if I can. Thanks.

DHPMARINE

Captain

You may indeed need a new shift cable,or be close to needing one.But try this.Spray the cables at the shift plate (where the interrupter switch is) with penetrating oil,and shift the control several times.(spray all the cable/linkage there)<br /><br />Maybe this will get you an extra season to enjoy boating<br />DHP

ron7000

Banned

same problem with my '76 boat, needs new shift cable. Needs whole new transom assembly actually. I got an extra season out of it by just not using reverse :D

donnyboy204b

Cadet

Thanks for your suggestions. Can I spray the shift cable where it goes into the lower unit, while my lower unit is raised up. I can move the cable in there. I have never worked on any of my lower unit. I read articles about shims, etc. and that scares me to open it up by myself. I WANT to open it up but I'm very hesitant that I'll open it and be completely lost and have to put it in the shop anyway. I'm retired now so I have the time. Can I replace the shift cable myself or is it strictly a in-shop operation ? Sorry for all my questions but I would just like to get my boat back in the water with the least cost involved. Thanks.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes you can change the cable yourself. You'll need the outdrive gasket kit 27-94996Q2. While you are at it, check the bellows. No shimmiing required for the cable change, except for the cable abjustment, its fairly straightforward. Read up on the FAQ posting about this.<br /><br />1. Get a 9/16 single hex socket with 3/8 drive. Weld a 4 inch pipe to make a super deep socket. Grind the socket to thin the wall. Use a single hex socket, bi-hex will catch too little and risk rounding the cable brass fitting.<br />2. Remove the drive. <br /> Throttle box in full forward postion.<br /> Remove 6 nuts on the upper drive.<br /> Pull drive out - heavy.<br />3. Remove the cable bellow clamp. Its behind the bell housing.<br />4. Disconnect the cable at the shift linkage on the engine. Remove the small fitting at the end of the cable.<br />5. Reach down to where the cable exits the transom and remove the spiral wrap.<br />6. Pull cable core out from the bell housing.<br />7. Unscrew the cable fitting and pull the cable sleeve.<br />8. Install cable.<br />9. When installing drive, make sure the shift lever at the front of the drive is engaged.<br />10. Make sure the cable adjustment is done correctly else you'll get the engine dying when shifting gears.<br /><br />Good luck.

donnyboy204b

Cadet

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATION QYSTAN. I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH.

donnyboy204b

Cadet

TO DHP MARINE,<br /><br />THANKS A LOT MAN. I DISCONNECTED MY SHIFT CABLES FROM THE TOP OF ENGINE AND SPRAYED THEM GOOD WITH WD40 AND NOW THEY SHIFT AGAIN AS GOOD AS 'ALMOST' NEW !! YOU SAVED ME A BUNDLE FOR THIS YEAR ANYWAY. I APPRECIATE YOUR SUGGESTION SO VERY MUCH. NOW, AS SOON THE HURRICANES DISAPPEAR, I CAN TAKE MY BOAT OUT AND SHIFT GEARS 'TIL THE COWS COME HOME !!