Mercruiser 3.0 Riser

9533Zero

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure if I need a new one. I REALLY trust the machine shop I've been working with and they told me the riser looked fine after inspecting it. But, I pulled a lot of flakey rust out of it and I'm just worried its too thin. Are there any nunbers on wall thickness or any other measure I can use? How fast do these things deteriorate? Thanks!

Steve

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Riser

They last along long time in freshwater with proper maintence..... then can last as little as 2 years if it sits in the gulf of mexico.... or up to 8 to 10 years and less saltier water. Really you need to pull the riser and look at the thickness of the seperating wall. I don't have the speck... I just eyeball them. Don S. will probably jump in with the actual page out of the Merc manual... i know he has it handy.

chiefalen

Captain

This a new manifold your bolting the riser to ?

It's a new motor or what ?

That rust used to be metal.

When was the last time the riser was changed ?

Heres my inexpert opinion, if it's a new manifold you need a new riser.

Bondo

Staff member

But, I pulled a lot of flakey rust out of it

Ayuh,....

That would be enough for Me,... To Change it out....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The only place you can measure thickness is at the flange you can't get to the rest of it. You removed alot of rust - replace it. You might not want to Write that check now, but after you do, you won't have to hold your breath every time you turn the key - hoping it isn't hydrolocked.

9533Zero

Seaman Apprentice

Uncle! Uncle! You're right guys, I'm gonna replace it. Manifolds a different story. It looks great. Already have it cleaned up and ready to bolt back on. Thanks!

Steve

9533Zero

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, these things are pricey, about 150.00. Anyone have a recomendation as to the best source for this part? Thanks!

chiefalen

Captain

This site has them and has price match, great service, what else can you ask for.