Mercruiser 3.0 only clicks when trying to start

Jwally

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a 1993 Mercruiser 3.0L, engine serial number OF012865. When I try to start it, all I get is a click. I followed the directions on the troubleshooting sticky. I am getting 12+ volts between the 2 big terminals at all times (terminals A and C). When I try the small terminal with the red/yellow wire (terminal B), I get zero volts, even when the key is turned. I know it says this points to the slave solenoid being bad, but I removed it and tested the starter and it tested fine. What other issues could be causing this issue?

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey all,

I have a 1993 Mercruiser 3.0L, engine serial number OF012865. When I try to start it, all I get is a click. I followed the directions on the troubleshooting sticky. I am getting 12+ volts between the 2 big terminals at all times (terminals A and C). When I try the small terminal with the red/yellow wire (terminal B), I get zero volts, even when the key is turned. I know it says this points to the slave solenoid being bad, but I removed it and tested the starter and it tested fine. What other issues could be causing this issue?

Thanks.

If you mean this is terminal B
attachment.php

And you get no voltage when the key is turned, go to terminal B on the slave relay below and see if there is no 12V
attachment.php

Next check to see your getting 12V on terminal C above when the key is turned. If you do jump across terminals A and B in the above pic and the starter should turn over. If it does replace slave solenoid/relay

Jwally

Cadet
alright ill give that a try today. next question:when i reinstalled the starter, it slid right in and the bolt holes lined up fine. does this mean the starter and flywheel gear teeth lined up, or is there something else i need to do? dont want to damage teeth when i crank it up.

Bondo

Staff member
alright ill give that a try today. next question:when i reinstalled the starter, it slid right in and the bolt holes lined up fine. does this mean the starter and flywheel gear teeth lined up, or is there something else i need to do? dont want to damage teeth when i crank it up.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The bendix gear, 'n the ring gear only engage when the solenoid kicks the bendix out, to engage the ring gear,....

The Slave solenoid is just an electric switch,...
The Starter mounted solenoid is not only an electric switch, but also a linier actuator,... it kicks the bendix gear out, into engagement,....

So, Ya,... sounds like a Good install,....

Did ya tighten the bolts to 'bout 35ft.lbs. ?

AD lays out how the power goes, so follow his testin', 'n you'll know what's wrong, with what,.....

Jwally

Cadet
I did what AllDodge instructed and had 12V on terminal B of the slave solenoid. I had 12V on terminal C when the key was turned. Finally, I jumped terminals B and C and the starter cranked. Everything points to a bad slave solenoid. I have ordered a new slave solenoid from iboats. Thank you all so much for the help. Sorry about the initial confusion on my post, I didn't realize the boat had a starter solenoid and a slave solenoid. If I did I would have saved myself the pain of pulling/testing the starter. Good learning experience I guess. I'll post again when I get the slave solenoid replaced.