mercruiser 3.0 isolator wiring

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice
sorry if this has already posted but i am installing a battery isolator on a dual battery setup...house, starter...i get how to wire the isolator other than the excitation terminal from the alternator.(is this even needed)...im guessing i need to run another small gauge from excitation terminal to isolator...but what do i do with the existing wire? also can i share the ground for both batterys and connect the ground terminals of the battery together?also would i hook up the onboard charger to the isolator or do i need to charge them seperatly? wow i think i have more questions than answers! thanks in advance...jay...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 3.0 isolator wiring

Does your 3.0L have a year or serial number?

Don S

This is from the service manual for your engine.

isolator.jpg

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice

ok that looks like what i have...the isolator instructions said i needed to hook up this excitation wire from alternator to isolator(on certain alternators...i seen the exc terminal and thought i needed to hook that up...so when using an isolator can i hook the battery grounds together or does the house and start circuit have to stay completely seperate?

Don S

In a 12V system, ALL grounds (aka negative wires) are always connected to the negative battery terminal (eventually), and all negative battery terminals are hooked together.