Mercruiser 3.0 failing fuel pump?

My mercruiser 3.0 runs fine in higher RPMs 1000 and up but when I attempt to put in in neutral it dies. The carb was just rebuilt and I checked for air leaks there, Plugs are good, distributor cap is new, the tank vent is clean.

Is it possible that the fuel pump, which is most likely 15 years old, is failing even though the gas is not shooting up the clear tube?

UncleWillie

Captain
If your Lowers Shift Cable is dragging, it will fail to release the Shift Interrupter Switch when shifting back into neutral.
The engine will stall going into neutral. A Common problem!
It does not sound anything like a fuel pump problem.

Watch the Shift Interrupter Switch while shifting. Does it re-center without Hesitation? ???
It will happen more so with the prop under a load, in the water, and not so much if on Trailer Muffs.

Bondo

Staff member
I am going to check this. How do you fix dragging cable of the shift interrupt switch?

Ayuh,.... Ya replace the cable,.....

Sounds like maybe crud mighta gotten into yer rebuilt carb, 'n plugged up the idle circuit to me,......

UncleWillie

Captain
My mercruiser 3.0 runs fine in higher RPMs 1000 and up but when I attempt to put it in Neutral, it dies.

Do you mean that when you lower the throttle to Idle Speed, still in gear, it dies?
Or... Do you mean that when Idling in gear, and attempting to shift into Neutral, it dies?

Last edited: