Mercruiser 3.0 dumped oil

2wheelmadman

Cadet
I have a 99 Bayliner Capri with a 3.0 L Mercruiser engine, traveling at 3500 rpm the engine lost revs very quickly, I shut it down and discovered the entire crankcase of oil had dumped into the bilge. I couldn't find (feel) any broken oil lines, obvious holes anywhere, has anyone heard of this problem before and knows where to look. This is why I stick to bikes!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 dumped oil

Cracked block? Threw a rod? If she was running a 3800rpm with no oil in her, that'll be a bigger problem then the oil leak itself I'd think. Good luck with it either way...sounds ugly. :(

Ian

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put some oil in it, start it up and see what's leaking and see if it will run.

Moving to I/O forum.

2wheelmadman

Cadet

The engine did not seize or break any internals, and I put some more oil in it to see if it flowed through...it did not, leads me to believe it dumped it under pressure.

Starts and runs fine, but obviously the engine will need to be pulled and inspected.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't pull it yet. Wipe it down, fill it again, start it on muffs, find where the oil is coming from. Don't rev it up on muffs, by the way.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Seen this once before. May or may not be your issue. Check for the sealing ring from your old oil filter to be stuck to the adapter where it screws on. The old one sticks, comes loose from the filter and you put a second one on. At idle it's fine, no leak, rev it and it blows out between the gaskets. easy fix, peel off the old seal and install a new filter. Since then I always check the old filter for the seal. (Almost cost a new engine)