Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1 Gen 1 WILL NOT SHIFT

Deano39

Cadet
Ok so a friend and I have completely rebuilt and mercruiser 140 and placed it in my 1976 imperial ski boat.
We are no mercruiser experts but have done alot of automotive repair in the past.
So the motor runs great and we are down to the simple things now.....so we thought....
i've got the outdrive bolted up. Everything that has to do with the shift cable is lined up and working properly.
But, when I try to adjust my shift cable I can only have forward gear and no reverse or vise versa.....
I can't seem to find a happy medium... I've looked thru the manuel and i've measured my cable to 5 7/8in. in forward gear...turned the shift cable brass barrrell 4 additional times and I CAN GET IT RIGHT!
Someone please help me with this.

thanks

martyd

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1 Gen 1 WILL NOT SHIFT

remember it has to be in forward when fitting and the prop pulled across clockwise keeps it there......

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

And its 6 inches if its a alpha drive

Deano39

Cadet

And its 6 inches if its a alpha drive

Ive tried the 6 inches also... I can get it to go into forward gear but not reverse. If i make a little bit of adjustment i can get reverse but not forward....

gbalaz

Seaman Apprentice

Are you following the procedure in the mercruiser manual?

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have a reverse lock-out? There's a stud on there that the lower shift cable connects to - I had the same issue as you and all I did was move the stud as far back (towards the stern) as it could go and it was perfect.

Last edited:

Deano39

Cadet

Do you have a reverse lock-out? There's a stud on there that the lower shift cable connects to - I had the same issue as you and all I did was move the stud as far back (towards the stern) as it could go and it was perfect.

I'm pretty sure i've tried that but i'll try again thanks!

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, if you haven't changed your lower shift cable - especially from '76, then it just might simply be stretched and worn out; no amount of adjusting will get it to work.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Untitledsh_zps3ee91486.jpg
#6,7
Untitleds_zpsbb2910b5.jpg
# 22
excessive wear or damage, the splined shift shaft in the lower excessive rust/corrosion. items 6,7,22

Deano39

Cadet

Also, if you haven't changed your lower shift cable - especially from '76, then it just might simply be stretched and worn out; no amount of adjusting will get it to work.
I think i'm going to replace it...maybe it is just streched or something....nothing i'm doing is working.