mercruiser 260 running hot

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the boat out ran perfect for probably 2 hours.. then started to run hot.. so slowly got it back to the ramp.. very slowly.. kept it out the red the whole way..<br /><br />so took it out again the next day and start running out almost immediately.. so kept it out of the red got in on the trailer..<br /><br />took boat to yard.. guy did a tune up.. replaced a leaky water hose.. ran it on the trailer hosed up for an hour he said and had no heat problems.. it was definitely pulling water in never got about 160..<br /><br />so did the tune up and leaky house fix this problem? or could i get it out on the lake under load and still be running hot?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Rob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 260 running hot

It probably needs a new raw water impeller. With hose forcing water into the pump, and no load on the engine, not a surprise it didn't overheat.<br />How old is your impeller? They only last for a couple of years.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,<br /><br />The impeller was just replaced in april of this year.<br /><br />I haven't had a chance to get it on the water again since it was at the yard to see if it still overheats. <br /><br />I was also questionning how you can really test anything with a hose forcing water into the system.<br /><br />I might demand they put it on the water and run it. Not sure how many trips to the yard and ramp I am willing to take to keep proving to them that they need to fix something.<br /><br />I also brought it in because it wouldnt engage to go forward.. guy at the yard also said that was fine when he ran it.. got it on the water.. didnt engage again.. took it back to the yard.. <br /><br />we'll see what they say next time..<br /><br />Thanks for your feedback.<br /><br />Rob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have them go to the boat, and you SHOW them the problem.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

tried to do that when i had it out.. nobody in service working on a saturday.. and i cant get it out during the week.. so i may ask them to drop it in the canal at the yard and run it and see what they see.. if at that time they still find nothing wrong i am going to flip out..<br /><br />thanks for your help<br /><br />Rob