Mercruiser 260 Pre-Alpha Cooling Hose?

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Again, I am working on a newly acquired project boat. A Service Manual has been ordered but I haven't received it yet.

This is a picture of the underside of my outdrive. On the port side there is a hose that is about 1" diameter and dead ends. I assume this is the hose from the raw water pump that hooks into the transom plate. I don't see anywhere for it to hook up to so, I am not certain. In addition, I have the lower unit off the boat currently otherwise I would run it on muffs to confirm my assumption.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

hose.jpg

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 260 Pre-Alpha Cooling Hose?

deleted

ziggy

Admiral

I don't see anywhere for it to hook up to
it connects to the bell housing on one end. the other end is connected to the gimble housing. above the drive shaft bellows... it's a miserable hose to work on.. ya may be able to see the gimble hoseing end between the bell housing and the gimble ring... the bell housing end, just tilt the drive (bell housing) up and you'll see the connection there on the port side.

edit
here a pic of the gimble hosing end..

IMG_2463.jpg

a pic of the whole pic. the nipple for the hose is above the gimble brg area.
IMG_2473.jpg
the nipple that's pointing to port.

IMG_2483.jpg

that's the bell housing end... port side..

Last edited:

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the picture that is what I figured as far as where it would connect, way the f up there where I couldn't see anything.

Just to confirm it is the raw water pump hose, correct?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Unless you have another engine mounted pump to supply water.Is this a freshwater cooled engine.(heat exchanger)

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unless you have another engine mounted pump to supply water.Is this a freshwater cooled engine.(heat exchanger)

Yes, this motor is freshwater cooled.

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure that I shouldn't start a new thread but I'll try here first.

OK I have the service manual in hand and I am trying to figure this out. Since, I failed to mention earlier this is a MCM260 closed cooling system with heat exchanger.

So, if I am correct this hose actually doesn't hook-up it just move water through the outdrive via the lower unit pump/impeller and discharges overboard via this dead end hose.
There is a separate circulation pump that pulls water in through an inlet (it's just an inlet/hole and not a hose nipple fitting) on the transom plate and circulates the sea water through the "seawater" side of the cooling system, heat exchanger etc.

Does that sound accurate???

Thanks in advance!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

From the sound of it someone converted the engine to fwc with a engine mounted pump.
Cutting the drive hose is not going to be an issue.The "inlet" you referr to should be thru hull type with a strainer included and not transom mounted. Can you post some pics of the installation.

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the sound of it someone converted the engine to fwc with a engine mounted pump.
Cutting the drive hose is not going to be an issue.The "inlet" you referr to should be thru hull type with a strainer included and not transom mounted. Can you post some pics of the installation.

My bad...you're correct! The pump pulls from a hose connected to the bottom of the hull. I'll try and get some pictures up.

BTW I really have no idea if this is a conversion or standard for the boat.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Conversion, the Alpha impeller will not supply enough water flow for a heat exchanger so a block mounted pump is required