Mercruiser 260 power tilt/trim problems

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have acquired a project boat w/ a Mercruiser 260 and Pre-Alpha outdrive. I am troubleshooting power tilt/trim issues.

As an FYI, I have replaced the o-rings and filled with fresh oil in the trim pump.
Mechanically the pump appears to be fine but I believe I have electrical issues. The unit is original and would be an early 1980's pump AFAIK. It has a SINGLE solenoid/relay and I have cleaned all the connections.

Ok so, when I push the bottom button I can get the pump motor to run and the outdrive to go down. When I push the top or middle buttons I get nothing. There is no click, there is no pump motor, there is nothing.

My understanding is that there is a "trim limit switch" that could be the cause or the wiring to it could be corroded and problematic. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW before the "Get a Service Manual Police" come around, I have one ordered and on the way. I am just trying to get head start on things.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 260 power tilt/trim problems

When I push the top or middle buttons I get nothing.
i'm not saying this is your problem, but if ya got the three button like i got. and the trim limit is spent like mine is. pushing the middle or the top button by them selves will do nothing. but pushing the middle and top button together is for trailer mode and will bring my drive up. i just live w/o trim function.

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'm not saying this is your problem, but if ya got the three button like i got. and the trim limit is spent like mine is. pushing the middle or the top button by them selves will do nothing. but pushing the middle and top button together is for trailer mode and will bring my drive up. i just live w/o trim function.

It does work coming up when I push the middle and top at the same time. So, what does that mean in terms of troubleshooting? Is it the trim limiter switch for sure? If so, is the repair very involved?

ziggy

Admiral

i would think trim limit switch failure, yes, trailer works, trim don't.
don't know what pre alpha ya got. but my mc-1 has the limit switch mounted to the gimble ring at the top center, underside of the gimble ring. a roller switch i believe. the bell housing is what actuates it. this part (the switch) for mine is nla + a major repair if it was available.
so i live w/o trim. it's not to hard to get used to using both buttons for trim. ya just gotta be aware not to raise it to high. many here will tell ya to trim by the feel of the boat. i do that. but i got a trim gauge too. me, i use that to.
if ya got the limit switch on the side of the gimble ring. ya may be able to repair, i don't know. i don't have them kind.

fwiw, that's the only item on my boat that don't work proper..

here's a link on maybe by passing it too... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1181168&highlight=trim+limit+pass#post1181168

Last edited:

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The limiter switch function is to avoid raising the outdrive to high with trim, correct?

So, you just trim using the trailer 2 button mode? Are ther any issues with doing that other than being aware of not raising the outdrive to high?

BTW thanks for the help.

ziggy

Admiral

The limiter switch function is to avoid raising the outdrive to high with trim, correct?
yes
So, you just trim using the trailer 2 button mode?
yes
Are ther any issues with doing that other than being aware of not raising the outdrive to high?
no

a pic of my trim controls..

IMG_4055.jpg

controls on the right. + auto pilot foot controls... :D

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those are what I have minus the stinky foot.;);)

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a little update:

After a little investigation, I have the "hockey puck" style limiter switch (port) and sending unit (starboard). Just as a side note I don't have a trim gauge for the sending unit to hook up to so, it dead-ends inside the boat. The limiter switch on my unit appears to be a fairly easy replacement and is available for around $50. I say easy but I'm not sure how/where the wires enter the boat.

With that I inspected the wires/connections from the switch to the pump and the wires are in horrible melted and cracked shape. It may very well be the wiring is bad and not the switch itself. I'll work on this later. ***update*** I cut the wires back inside of the boat as far back as possible and spliced in replacement pieces but the unit still doesn't work. I still think it is possible that the wiring is bad but I think I am going to just by-pass the switch as I mentioned below.

I followed the link posted above and shorted across the "purple and blue" wires on the pump side and the middle trim button now works independent of the top button. Of course there isn't a limiter when doing this but at least it functions.

Thanks again for all the help.