mercruiser 2.5 120 hp heat exchanger

Sidserv

Seaman Apprentice
So I am buying a 76 starcraft islander that has the 2.5 mercruiser or iron duke. it doesn't have a heat exchanger. I am buying it from a family who has owned it for the past 16 years and they said it hasn't had one since they bought it from the forest service. Did the 2.5 ever come with a heat exchanger? this is my second islander but first with an inboard. every boat that I have ever had has been outboard up until this point. I live in Idaho and will be using the boat year round. I have no problem draining the block after each trip. I just think it is odd that it only uses raw water for cooling. is this normal?

thumpar

Admiral
I would highly doubt that any 120 came with a heat exchanger. I have never seen it. The 120 is easy to drain.

Bondo

Staff member
Did the 2.5 ever come with a heat exchanger?

Nope,...... Only aftermarket stuff,.....

If yer gonna run it year 'round, you'll need to drain the system each time ya pull it from the water,....

Sidserv

Seaman Apprentice
Cool thanks for the replies. One more reason that I need to keep my old 73 Fiberform Columbia. It has an outboard and easy to drain. I keep telling the wife that 3 boats is better than 2 but she doesn't believe me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Even with a heat exchanger, you still have to drain the open side or things go bust. The exchanger, any coolers and manifolds/risers have residual lake water inside to freeze.