mercruiser 165

ironman

Cadet
hi everyone i have a problem i am putting together a 1972 slickraft with a mercruiser 165 i bought this boat with no drive train at all except the gimble bearing housing in transom i need to see pitcures of how the cooling system should hook up i have peiced together this 165 but can not figure the hose connections around water pump and thermostat and manifold thanks for any help ironman

tommays

Admiral
Re: mercruiser 165

would be best to get a shop manual you are going to run into a lot of things like this as you put this boat together <br />ther is a link with pictures if i find it i will post<br /><br />tommays

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's my 1975 Sea Star w/ the Merc 165hp I6:<br /><br />
165Engine1.jpg
<br /><br />
165Engine2.jpg
<br /><br />Butch A.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a full view of the whole engine.....<br /><br />
165engine.jpg
<br /><br />Butch A.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dude<br />I wont say a word about the rubber fuel line. I think you know what we all will say<br /> good luck and hope the hose never chafes or leaks.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the rubber hose between the manifold and the fire thingy(excuse the lack of knowledge on the terms)? Mine just has a hole that you can see straight down inside the motor. My boat has the same exact motor, it was replaced in 2001. I have owned my boat for a little over a year now. We use it quite a bit and I never considered it a problem. Is there any cause for concern? Does this affect the motors performance?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the tube between the choke housing and the manifold is a hot air pipe for the choke. if your refering to the breather tube from the rocker cover to the flame arrestor it aids in venting blowby gasses to the carb so the incoming air will suck it back down. you really should replace it. I was refering to the rubber line between the fuel pump and carb. at 6-7 psi it does not take much of a leak for bad things to happen.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys.... wait a minute... Let me explain: The last photo (the one taken directly at the 165 engine) shows the old metal fuel line. It later cracked and leaked, roughly 2 summers ago. I got hold of a buddy (also a certified mechanic) and instead of ordering a whole new Merc fuel line, he recommended replacing it with a heavy duty, high pressure, fuel line, which clamps into a GM fuel filter that is made for the 2bbl Rochester carb. I know what you are thinking.... But the fuel line is very sturdy, heavy gauge, and yet flexible. It will not fray or chafe.<br /><br />Butch A.

farmarious

Recruit

i am looking for a used 165hp merc I6. i have 2 that are identical to those shown. one of mine is seized up and may require replacement. any help would be much appreciated. the motor will be installed into a 1973 searay weekender

nawlinjoe

Cadet

Hey butcha, Would you please take a picture of the starter, distribtor and coil wire hookups for me. I need to se if I have everything hook up right.<br /><br />Thanks in advance

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe99,<br /><br />I can grab a digital camera from my office, and snap a photo or two of my starter, distributor coil, etc... and then post them up. (the other photos of my 165 were taken with my old classic Canon A-1 35mm SLR).<br /><br />Butch A.

tommays

Admiral

Each hose clamp on a hose from the fuel tank to the fuel inlet <br />connection on the engine, a hose between the fuel pump and the <br />carburetor, or a vent line must:<br /> (a) Be used with hose designed for clamps;<br /> (b) [Reserved]<br /> (c) Be beyond the bead, flare, or over the serrations of the mating <br />spud, pipe, or hose fitting; and<br /> (d) Not depend solely on the spring tension of the clamp for <br />compressive force.<br /><br /><br />(D) pretty much sounds like hose clamps are not allowed on the pressure side of the pump<br /><br />tommays