Mercruiser 165 tilt/trim goes down not up?

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I am trying to trouble shoot the trim on my merc 165 IL6. I am trying to find a used manual but no luck yet.
So in the mean time-- where should I start the testing process?
The trim motor works--the drive goes down.
I have tried a different combo of buttons on the dash with no luck.
The wiring does not look to have been messed with (ie. hooked up wrong)

I don't want to let the drive go all the way down for fear of not getting it back up and not being able to trailer the boat back to storage.

Any help is always appreciated.

Jim

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser 165 tilt/trim goes down not up?

Don, are you speaking of the solenoid on the front of the trim pump? I really see only one. Do you a picture you could point an arrow to?

When I hit the trailer and up switch together I get a click but no motor operation. When I hit the down or in switch the motor operates and the drive goes down. Does this help?

Thank you,

Jim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don, are you speaking of the solenoid on the front of the trim pump?

Yes, and it should have 2 large terminals and 2 small ones.
Without hitting the trim button, you should have power on one of the large terminals. Do you? If not, then you have either a bad fuse, wire, or connection in the wire from the wire marked "Connect to Positive terminal at starter motor" in the wiring diagram
If you do, then have someone push the button and see if you have battery voltage at one of the small terminals. The other small terminal (black wire) should go to ground. If it's bad, nothing will work.
Does the solenoid click? ? ? ?

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

The soleniod is the one that has the 2 large posts and 2 smaller ones on the front. It is mounted on the front of the trim pump. Its part number is 25661. I see what looks to be another solenoid but it is not the same kind and is not mounted on the trim pump. it looks like #89-76416A1

Yes, the solenoid clicks (the one on the trim pump) when both up buttons are activated, just no motor operation. I was working by myself so I could just test voltage as it sat. I got battery voltage across the 2 larger terminals.

The way the solenoid is wired is positive is on the larger left term. negative on the right large term. Motor switch wires on the left smaller term. and what looks to be a ground (Black wires) on the right smaller term.

Jim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Try jumping across both big terminals on the solenoid. If the motor runs, replace the solenoid.
Those solenoids can click but not work. There are contacts inside of them. If they are burned up or don't make good connection, the solenoid will not do anything but click.
You will find that with some 14 ga. wire test leads made with some aligator clips from any hardware or electronics store and a test light, you can SEE what is happening.

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice

To all:

I finally got my factory service manual. The trim pump is refered to as the "early model" and has only one solenoid. It is located on the front of the trim pump. Changing the solenoid out solved the "No go up" problem. Now it works as it should. Just wanted to throw this out to anyone who might have had the same frustration.

Thank you for your help

Jim

amature1

Recruit

I am having a problem as well and unfortionatley for me I am new tot he boating community and know absolutley nothing about boats. The trim worked fine last week and now it won't go up. The motor seems to be working fine because it goes down but only goes up a little bit and then stops barely got it home. Only 3" off ground. Fluid is milky white - should it be? If I have to replace the fluid what do I replace it with?

Thanks.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buy a manual and start reading. Chances are you have a leak in the system underwater and water has mixed with the hydraulic fluid.

catfischerman

Recruit

ok. i am new to the tilt trim thing. i have a 1979 merc 165, with a 2 solenoid system. someone has jacked with the wires on this thing, and i am not sure how to hook them back up. i also dont know how to post a new thread on this site, (as i am also new here), but any help is greatly appreciated... thanks

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Catfischerman, best to start your own thread to avoid confusion since yours may be a different problem. To post a new thread go to the index page with all the thread titles. Near the top left there's a box "Create New Post".

catfischerman

Recruit

ok. thank you very much sir. i figured it out now. your answer is greatly appreciated

MFergOKC

Recruit

Similar problem: motor will trim down and TRAILER UP, but will not trim up? I have replaced the starter/trim solenoid because the motor would not start with the key but I could jumper the solenoid. Could it simply be the switch, since the motor will trailer up?

Marc

Surfbum

Recruit

Marc,
I am having the exact same problem as you describe. Must be a common issue with these. Let me know if you get it figured out before me and I'll let you know if I figure it out. Thanks
Mark

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also am new to Big Baot thing. I have twin outdrives. One stopped working today. I am also getting clicking sound. Do they both run off same soleniod? And is it the same solenoid thats on starter that runs trims? When I tried starting port motor the solenoid was smokin. Is this the problem?