Mercruiser 165 lower unit weeping oil

Cadet
The temps are now around 5 or 10 and I noticed my lower unit weeping lube out the small hole on the starboard side of the lower unit. Is this a internal crack or seal issue?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 165 lower unit weeping oil

Ayuh,.... That's a weep hole, 'n there's really no way to know exactly where the oil is comin' from, til ya drop the lower unit, 'n Look...

It Shouldn't be leakin' from there, or anywhere else...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If those temperatures are Fahrenheit, and you didn't fully drain the leg, chances are you have freeze damage. The only way you'll know is to pull the drive off, drain the oil and pressure test it....

Just one silly question... Why wasn't the drive removed, serviced and stored somewhere warm as part of the winterizing procedure?

Chris......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just one silly question... Why wasn't the drive removed, serviced and stored somewhere warm as part of the winterizing procedure?

Drives don't have to be removed and stored where it's warm?????
Removed serviced and re-installed yes, but it's not necessary to store inside where it's warm.

To the OP, pull the drive, drain the gear lube and pressure test it to 15 psi and spray soapy water on everything, the bubbles will tell you where the leak is.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

By 'warm' I meant not freezing, like a basement...

Cadet

I will pull the lower unit and bring it inside to warm up. If the leak stops I know it is a seal. If not it will be a pressure test and search for cracks. I was curious because this is the coldest it had been and it just started leaking yesterday. Btw we have been below freezing for months. Also can the weep hole retain water and crack in the cold?

ziggy

Admiral

Also can the weep hole retain water and crack in the cold?
depends on if the weep hole is blocked or not i'd think. i've had 2 mc-1 drives. both came with that hole plugged up with sand and crud. i'd guess they both retained water to a degree. however neither cracked. i cleaned out both drive cavities so water will drain. ya do this when your replacing your impeller.
fwiw. i keep my drive in the basement now a days... i have peace of mind for the winter lay up. it's also, not to hard to do and allows me to service it at my convenience while things are slow boating wise.