Mercruiser 160 spun coupler

Battlewagon

Cadet
Out yesterday on a local lake flogging the boat before trailering 350 miles to FL next week. Found a big bug. The 37 year old coupler decided not to couple any more. Neat cloud of rubbery smelly smoke, boat quit moving, and motor raced for a moment till I shut her down. New coupler will be at Napa Tuesday morning. <br /> Just want to make sure I am on the right track. 1. Remove O/D<br />2. Remove engine<br />3. Remove bellhousing<br />4. Rmove and replace coupler<br />5. Do everything in reverse, checking alignment before hanging O/D back on.<br /><br />Am I missing anything?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 160 spun coupler

Sounds like You're Well on your Way........<br />Check the Condition of the Motor Mounts....<br />Just to make Sure the Engine didn't Shift....<br />And,<br />It Never Hurts to Shake, Wiggle,+ Check Everything Else that gets in front of your Nose, <br />While you're in the Bilge, Anyway......

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser 160 spun coupler

I just went through a similar issue on mine - a word of caution when setting the engine from my own experience. Be mindful of all the ancillary systems when setting the engine. After mine was put in (by the mechanic, not me) and I got it on the water, there was a cut fuel line that had us all pretty scared - sprayed gas into the bilge and had to get towed back in. The power steering hose was also pinched and thus - no power steering. It's easy to bump that stuff around when setting the engine in tight spaces. Got it all fixed, but made for a not-so-great Memorial Day weekend.