Mercruiser 140 coil problem

I am reposting this topic to see if there are any more ideas. This is a 1978 mercruiser 140 4 cyl. Not sure what exact coil to put on it. It was brought to me with a 6V coil on it. Should the new coil have the resistor inside plus external resistor. Or coil w/o resistor and put one on the outside. The coil has two tan wires that come off the + pos side on coil. One tan runs into wiring harness and splices into a white wire. The problem we have is that the wire gets very warm to the touch when key is on and points closed I believe, but will not melt. Normal? I would think most of them should hook up the same way as other years. Just need a starting place.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 140 coil problem

That warm wire is most likely the resistance wire. If so, it is normal to be warm.<br /><br />To make sure what type of coil you have, take the wires off one of the sides and measure the resistance across the two terminals. You should measure around 1 ohm if is an external resistor coil or around 3 or so if it is an external type.

I know that the coil we have on their now is a coil w/o resistor. Is that wire going to act as a resistor or do we need to place one. Also I read that it should match up to the points etc. we have. Is it possible to have 1. coil w/o resistor and have the wire warm or 2. coil with internal resistor. Do they act the same.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Measure the voltage on the positive side of the coil with the key on points open. If it reads battery voltage, you will need a coil with the internal resistor. If the voltage is approx 7, the wire is the resistor. Then you need the coil with no resistor.

Thanks everyone...I believe the fix is an internal coil b/c we have 12 V with points open.