Mercruiser 135 flushing question

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice
The previous owner showed me how to flush the engine by hooking a hose up to the blue drain line coming off the block. The manual says to use muffs. I have done it both ways and when I use the muffs water is only coming out of 1 exaust port. Is this right? Should I do it the other way, or keep using the muffs?

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 135 flushing question

NO ITS NOT CORRECT.use the muffs or a large tub that you can lower leg into filled with water above the pick ups.this is to stop you destroying the impellor.you may have already destroyed your impellor by hooking up to your drain plug and the guy who showed you this has no idea.pull your drive off change impellor straight away and then look for the broken pieces too.

cribber

Lieutenant

I have the 3.0l Penta version and the book says you can flush the engine from the blue colored Flush Tube or you can use muffs. Just don't run the engine above idle speed. You'll be fine either way you decide...

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. What about the water coming out, should it come out of both of the holes? One has water gushing out the other just exhaust???

whodunnit

Cadet

Good question. I'd like to know, also. Anybody???

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the reason a volvo engine can use the flush on the motor is because the water pump is mounted on the engine, on a merc alpha, its in the drive

use the muffs to flush your engine every time

water out one port on a 4 cyl is typical, look for more water exiting through the prop

saaabe

Seaman

in my alpha the water pump is in the motor too. the impeler is helping the water pump in the motor. i have been using both the blue line and the muffs for 7 years and my mercruiser is running like new ....

saaabe

Seaman

it works both ways fine no problem for 7 years on my boat... The other thing in a 4 cylinder engine water comes out from one side

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What am I missing? Place the muffs on the drive, turn hose water on, run engine 3 minutes and your done........... Why overthink somthing so easy?

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Muffs+, water out on starboard side only +