Mercruiser 130hp starting hard

91whitestang

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a inboard mercruiser 130hp and when you go to start it, either first time putting it in the water or being out on the water for an hour and motor has been running, you have to give it full throttle for about 5-10 seconds before it starts and then when it does it basically runs rich, you can smell the gas fumes pretty good. I mean you can be out pulling a tube for an hour and shut it off for 2 mins, go to restart it and it won't start unless you give it full throttle. Do you think this could have something to do with the points? It had new plugs and wires put in but not sure about the distributor as I bought it last fall and has been doing it since then. I was thinking maybe the points could be screwed up or possibly the carb is jetted wrong or needs to be tweaked some? Thanks for any advise you might have.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Mercruiser 130hp starting hard

Sounds to me like a perfectly normal boat, if anything maybe a simple choke adjustment MIGHT be needed.

91whitestang

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds to me like a perfectly normal boat, if anything maybe a simple choke adjustment MIGHT be needed.

oh really? i thought after running it for awhile, motor being warm and shutting it off just long enough to get someone out in the water with skiis, so maybe off for like 2-3 mins if that, it like sits there and cranks and cranks and cranks with it wide open for like 5-10 seconds before starting then obviously backing down the throttle once it does start. I just thought it would start right up after being run for awhile, I could see maybe if it sat for say 15 mins or so but that short of period I thought something could be off....So with that being said, i just thought it would be hard on the starter and flywheel but if it sounds normal...then I'll leave it be.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the elecricals are right I'd bet on fuel/carb issues.

Things I learn (and relearn) about these engines:1. Clean, dry, fuel, 2. Clean carburetor (sometimes carb needs rebuilt), 3. Clean fuel filter (s) (I relearned the latter lesson this weekend when I had a similar hard starting issue as you describe.) Best of luck.

Ed
:)