mercruiser 120 sputters off idle?!?!?

retodd

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 120 mercruiser that will not for the life of me stop sputtering as i come off idle. I have replaced all ignition components as I have just recently purchased the boat and all was of unknown age. REbuilt carb (mercarb) including new accelerator pump. Had timing supposedly checked and set. The one thing that i did notice was when I was rebuilding the carb that the check ball in the accelerator pump was hard to get out. Would some sort of blockage in the passage between the float bowl and the acc pump cause this? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I typically fill up with 93 octane fuel on the way to the lake and sometimes I may have to refuel at a marina to finish off the day. Every time I fuel with the marina fuel(89oct.) I can hardly get on plane. I hope I have included all the pertinent information for this puzzle?!?!?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercruiser 120 sputters off idle?!?!?

Welcome to iboats.. :) Water or gunk is at work. Have you checked the fuel/water separater? Also the screen in fuel pick up )tank), and the screen at the carb connection? Fuel vent and anti-siphon valve are likely suspects as well. Will it run better with the gas cap off?...J

retodd

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the timely reply. I actually have had the tank out of the boat to flush it just in case that was the case. the pickup tube is welded into the tank, so I am unable to check that out, short of replacing the tank or having the pickup cut out and a threaded fitting welded in...And yes I have replace all the remaining screens and filters (inline, water seperator, fuel pump and carb)...lol thats a lot of filters.<br />And the vent seems to be perfectly clear as evidenced by spillage every time i fill up...lol... on land not in the water

retodd

Seaman Apprentice

Given that the pickup tube is impossible to remove should i have another tube put in or just ditch the aluminum tank and go with one of the newer plastic ones?

retodd

Seaman Apprentice

Given that the pickup tube is impossible to remove should i have another tube put in or just ditch the aluminum tank and go with one of the newer plastic ones?

retodd

Seaman Apprentice

update...Noticed i can only run about 3700rpm top if i try to push through this wall, the motor bogs(leans out?) and when i get through with a run at anything above more than an idle the engine idles at about 1300-1500 rpm. Could this be a lean contition from low fuel pressure due to a failing fuel pump? Oh and yes I was able to get the pickup tube out and the screen is free (missing) and the anti-siphon valve is free...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Could this be a lean contition from low fuel pressure due to a failing fuel pump?
Could be, Hook up a fuel pressure guage and give it a check.