Mercruiser 120 head question

WellcraftDan

Recruit
Hey everybody,

Heres some info briefly describing the problems im having. I have a 1983 Well craft american with a Mer cruiser 120 in it. The engine sounds and runs great! But i noticed at wot i was only hitting 2900 rpm fairly low also i gps'd myself doing 29mph once again a low number so i figured id do a compression test to sort that out and cylinder 1 2 and 4 confirmed 140 psi however cylinder 3 was at 120 psi. i pulled the valve cover and head off to to further check and diagnose the problem. i made sure that the 3rd cylinder was at top dead center and blew compressed air into its spark plug hole and confirmed air flow coming out of the intake. I also noticed when taking the head off that the valves weren't flush with the head......

So my question is this, does this sound like a simple valve job or something else im possibly not foreseeing?

thanks everyone!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 120 head question

So my question is this, does this sound like a simple valve job or something else im possibly not foreseeing?

Ayuh,... My guess is, most any competent Machine Shop can tell you what's salvagable, 'n what needs attention...

Yes, I think yer headed the Right way,... ;)

WellcraftDan

Recruit

thanks Bond-o! Ive read many of your post on other peoples similar issues and because of all your help i am where i am now so thanks for all your input it means alot!

Bondo

Staff member

thanks Bond-o! Ive read many of your post on other peoples similar issues and because of all your help i am where i am now so thanks for all your input it means alot!

Ayuh,... Yer Very welcome Dan,...'n Welcome Aboard to the iboats forums....;)