Mercruiser 110 carb question

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,<br />I started rebuilding my carb on my Mercruiser 110 HP (1964, serial number 1725348 Mercruiser 110). The carb is a rochester 2 jet tag number 7020993. When adjusting my float drop the instructions say to adjust it to 1-29/32(when measureed from the float bowl with gasket in place to the 'seam' on the metal float. The original float was set to 1-21/32. Here is the wierd part, When measuring the total depth of the float bowl, it is only 1-28/32. Given that the float measurement is to the floats seam and that is about halfway on the float. Wouldn't the float literally bottom out before 1-29/32?<br /><br />Sorry to be so detailed, but you know carbs...

papdetomaso

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser 110 carb question

I think that your checking the float drop wrong. You have to invert the carb upside down and then make the measurement from the float bowl lip to the float's seam. I think that 1-29/32nd is the same I used on my rochester carb...good luck Pappy

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Pappy<br /><br />Thanks for the comments. This is exactly how I measured the float drop, gasket in place nd everything as per instructions. I looked at the pretty pictures and everything. :) <br /><br />The conflicting part is that the bowl depth is 1-28/32 and the float drop (measured to the seam, which is formed from brazing together two halves of a a roughly 1" thick float) is 1-29/32. Meaning if you could imagine the float at it's maximum drop then you would imagine the float protruding out of the bottom of the bowl<br /><br />I have decided to set the float to the settings of the original and see how it goes<br /><br />thanks<br />e

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Egg,<br />From what I have heard...your engine and outdrive sound like they were frankinstein'd together. Are you sure that the manual you have is referring to the carb you have? I know how anal you are :) so I assume that you checked and re-checked and then checked again that the model numbers are correct but........<br /><br />Good luck!

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Will,<br /><br />In the old days carbs came with an ID tag on it. Even though the same carb can be used on several model engines, there will be some changes in like jets and other things. So the instructions that came with it, came with instructions specific for my tag number. So yes, I am anal and am sure I got the right stuff for it<br />cheers