Mercriser 5.7 Horizon dipstick replacement

Harley558

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 2000 Mercruiser 5.7 Horizon MPI. The dipstick/tubes are a very bad design on these engines. The plastic yellow tab they put on the end broke off. I tried everything to remove my dipstick. Small, long needle nose pliers, small plastic tubing, etc....whatever I tired, it just pushed the dipstick further down the tube to the point the only way I am going to get it out is to remove the tube.

How do you remove the dipstick tube? Is there a replacement that has the old loop type end that prevents the stick to get pushed down inside the tube? Or do I have to replace both the dipstick and tube?

HELP!

Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Mercriser 5.7 Horizon dipstick replacement

You can buy just either a dipstick or a new dipstick tube separately from Mercruiser, You just need to find the right part number for your engine by using your engine serial number.;)

To remove the Dipstick you basically just need unbolt the one clip that is on the side of the engine block area that hold the tube in place, And maybe cut away some of the silicone where the tube goes into the side of the oil pan, Then just pull the tube out of the oil pan.

Then just slide the new tube back in and carefully use some black silicone around the tube/Pan area, Bolt it back up, Let the silicone dry up, And then you should be :cool: to go boating.:)

Harley558

Cadet

I still have the problem. I noticed my engine has two oil dipstick tubings. The ones that the tips snapped off are the Starboard side of the engines...However, I noticed they are tubes on the portside of the engine as well. I took the yellow cap off and they do not have any dipsticks in them. I was able to change my oil using these tubes. Can I just purchase dipsticks for these tubes and use them instead?

Bondo

Staff member

Can I just purchase dipsticks for these tubes and use them instead?

Ayuh,... Once you figure out just What ya got, you probably Can...

I find it hard to believe Merc is shipping motors with 2 dipsticks,...
That leads Me to believe Somebody over the last 10 years, Changed something...

The Serial #s,+ a Picture might Help.....