Merccruiser 120 motor to automobile motor

Walleye King

Seaman
I found some things that are different from an automotive motor to a marine motor but not sure if I have found everything.<br /><br />Can a auto motor 153 CI motor be swapped and adapted to a marine engine? I believe in another post Jason told me it was the same motor that they have in the S10's.<br /><br />Also what is the best way to break the cylinders free? put a good bit of balster in the cylinders and still seems too hard to turn, may have a big problem on my hands!

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Merccruiser 120 motor to automobile motor

you should buy a copy of "Small-Block Chevy Marine Performance" by Dennis Moore or at least go to Amazon and read as much of it as you can for free. The first section tals about the major differences between car engines and boat engines.<br /><br />To paraphrase:<br /><br />A boat is like driving a car up a very steep hill with the gas pedal floored for the entire time. Car parts can't and won't last in that type of environment very long.<br /><br />Boats run at constant 3,000 - 5,000 RPMs - cars seldom ever do.<br /><br />When fuel vapors escape in a car, they ar heavier than air and fall to the wide open ground and quickly disapate. In a boat, they have no where to go except to sit in the bilge. One stray spark can ignite them.<br /><br />Even car wire for example, is not rated the same as boat wire. A 16 ga SAE is not the same as a 16 ga AWE marine wire. It has less current handling capability. Less tolerance to corrosion, etc.

Walleye King

Seaman

Thanks! Good info. My main concern was the shortblock that I wanted to use, just wasn't sure if there was a differencr there or not, really want to get this thing running, but it does not look good right now.<br /><br />Thanks Again!

mlslocks

Seaman Apprentice

s-10 motor is not the same.