Merc1150, steering stuck in pivot

BG1150

Cadet
The cable pulls out about 4 inches when the large retaining nut is removed. It will not pull the other direction (by pulling the end that connects to the motor swing rod). The tube and cable end seem to be bound tight in the motor pivot. I have heard of the complete steering kit. How do I remove the stuck end from the motor pivot? If it requires heat, I will have to get someone else to do it. Is there a set screw that I am not finding that holds the tube in place? Thanks!<br />I am new here and just got the boat as is but all else seems fine. I did a search but did not find this covered.

D

DJ

Re: Merc1150, steering stuck in pivot

Did you remove the tilt rod (swing rod)?<br /><br />It must be removed.

BG1150

Cadet

If you are refering to the rod that goes from the front of the motor to the left side of the motor at the rod end of the cable, yes. I disconnected it. <br />Is there an exploded diagram with descriptions somewhere online? Or is there a good book with the details? That way, I will use the correct names and terms here. I am sure some are reading my posts and laughing at my lack of knowledge. Give me most any car and I can describe it in detail correctly. I understand boating (certified sailing to 26') but boat motors are new to me.

MrWick

Seaman

I had the same problem on my 115hp Merc and I ended up cutting the rod going through the tilt tube with a hack saw on both sides of the motor to get it out.What I found after getting the old rod out was the tilt tube was all pitted on the inside,the new steering rod would not go all the way through so I had to replace the tilt tube along with the steering cable.Tilt tube wasn't that hard to do except I had to take the motor off the boat.

MrWick

Seaman

I had the same problem on my 115hp Merc and I ended up cutting the rod going through the tilt tube with a hack saw on both sides of the motor to get it out.What I found after getting the old rod out was the tilt tube was all pitted on the inside,the new steering rod would not go all the way through so I had to replace the tilt tube along with the steering cable.Tilt tube wasn't that hard to do except I had to take the motor off the boat.