Merc1000 2 questions..........

pckkc

Cadet
I picked-up my '69 100 HP six saturday. After being reassured that this motor ran in the summer(lower unit was off for impeller change)I've discovered that the stator is putting out about 20 volts while cranking.Is this enough voltage to run?? (Seloc manual on order,my manual for my 500 hp four isn't clear on stator output.Take to friendly Mercury Dealer it tells me...)Second question is I've got number 3 cylinder with 5 pounds of compression and number 4 with 70 pounds.the rest of the cylinders are close to 100 pounds.Can I expect more compression while saturating the naughty cylinders with carb cleaner and let 'em soak??? Am I floggin' a dead mule or should I throw some money and time at it?? It sure looks mean and sexy on the back of The Whaler, I need some advice here.Thanks.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Merc1000 2 questions..........

This ign does not rely on stator output for its spark energy, all the stator does is charge the battery. <br /><br />The distributor triggers the CDI box to cause a spark.<br /><br />The compression reading on #3 is terminal and #4 is bad enough that a decarbonizing treatment will probably do no good.<br /><br />Not much you can expect from this motor without a teardown, hope the person who sold you this motor wasn't a friend!<br /><br />It may be rebuildable but only a teardown would tell. There a few guys on this forum (like Clams Canino) who rebuild Mercs for a living and would give you a Fair Shake on a rebuilt powerhead. You could save a lot of the labor cost by removing and reinstalling the powerhead yourself.<br /><br />Or, if you're up to a project, pick up a Seloc manual for this motor and have at it!<br /><br />HTH and Good Luck........ed

pckkc

Cadet

I got the beast running this afternoon..# 3 hole is still showing zip for compression...Have'nt checked # 4 .....I'm gonna' see if my neighborhood NAPA can get me some Sea-Foam..Can't hurt to try,right?? I'll tell ya' this though,for only having 5 out of 6 running properly,this is a pretty smooth runner.These in-lines love upper range r.p.m.'s don't they??When my manual arrives,I'll think about about a tear-down and re-biuild...Thanks for responding,Ed.,,Chris..

Clams Canino

Commander

Unlike the 99ci powerheads, the main problem I have re-doing the 89ci powerheads (like the Merc 1000) is that all the oversize pistons are long since off the market.<br /><br />In a lot of cases the best I can do is replace with a stock piston and clean up the #3 hole as best as possible with new rings on all six.