merc v6 4.3l stalling in reverse

Searay268

Cadet
Hi, i have a 4.3 v6 mercruiser 1989 , all runs fine except when put into reverse , it goes in to gear fine and runs but as soon as i accelerate it forces kill switch up andholds it there and engine dies. tried it with engine off and still forces kill switch up not sure that has any relavance, suspect lower shift cable ......any other ideas thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: merc v6 4.3l stalling in reverse

suspect lower shift cable .....

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I agree, ya nee a new 1...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you done anything that included removing and reinstalling the cables from the control? Maybe a new cable or control?

Searay268

Cadet

Have you done anything that included removing and reinstalling the cables from the control? Maybe a new cable or control?

Hi Don s , No only job i done last year was change manifolds and risers so i removed shift plate, however i did forget to attach small wire for kill switch for a couple of uses was hard to get out of gear ..... realised put it back on was ok then soon after this problem occurred............. what have i done ??? thanks steve

Searay268

Cadet

Hi Don s , No only job i done last year was change manifolds and risers so i removed shift plate, however i did forget to attach small wire for kill switch for a couple of uses was hard to get out of gear ..... realised put it back on was ok then soon after this problem occurred............. what have i done ??? thanks steve

Hi again, have removed cable sleeve from plate and slid cable by hand was quite a bit stickier to move back and forth than other engine.....tested both thanks again steve