Merc Saltwater series vs Classic - Difference?

newt

Cadet
I am hoping someone can clear this one up.<br /><br />I have heard from a couple dealers that the Mercury Saltwater series engines have a couple differences from the Classics (90 hp carburated models). Here is how they are supposedly better:<br /><br />1. Some additional parts are stainless.<br />2. Some internal parts on have a special corrosion resistant coating.<br />3. They come with the coastal flush attachment.<br /><br />However, the list price difference is only $55. I talked with two different people at Mercury who both told me that there is absolutely no difference in the 2003 models except that the salt water series has blue graphics and a "salt water" decal. In fact the "salt water series" is really only a marketing thing. <br /><br />Both models carry a three year corrosion warranty and are made on the same assembly lines. Also, none of the models come with the coastal flush attachment from the factory. <br /><br />Can anybody confirm or deny this? What gives? :(

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc Saltwater series vs Classic - Difference?

I have the 2002 90 H.P. Saltwater Series (2 stroke). I think you've summarized the differences well. It is certainly a bit more corrosion resistant, and since I only boat in salt water, it is worth the extra $55. The flush hose is a major convenience, all though it is easy to pinch when replacing the cowling. I've already had to patch it once.