Merc parts...........

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I priced a new starter for my boat at 1 dealer so far and im in disbelief.

generic - 280 +tax
OEM - $440.00
gm - $95
where is the best priced parts in canada for marine stuff?
is there a wholesale parts place in canada? i can't believe the prices. i was going to have the starter rebuilt but it could take a long time for it to get done and even then i dont know if i want to re-use that starter .

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Merc parts...........

I bought a new starter today for $86.

Most of the current crop of high-performance car starters are fully sealed, making them suitable for marine use.

Mine is a Delco type reman, which has only one tiny hole I sealed with high temp silicone. Purchased at the local auto parts store.

Erik

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I priced a new starter for my boat at 1 dealer so far and im in disbelief.

generic - 280 +tax
OEM - $440.00
gm - $95
where is the best priced parts in canada for marine stuff?
is there a wholesale parts place in canada? i can't believe the prices. i was going to have the starter rebuilt but it could take a long time for it to get done and even then i dont know if i want to re-use that starter .
Get a marine rated starter off of ebay..;)

Robj

Lieutenant

I got my Volvo Penta rebuilt for $140 and took 2 days. As good as new. Don't mess with the automotive stuff, get marine.

Have a great day.

Rob.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Most of the current crop of high-performance car starters are fully sealed, making them suitable for marine use.

Is this one of those,
"I don't know...so I think"
statements?

erikgreen

Captain

This is one of those "every high performance starter I've handled or seen pictures of looks to be completely sealed" statements. I took a look at them based on recommendations here.

Now, that's not to say they'll pass a coast guard inspection, or even that my modified Delco will, but I think they're a good possibility if you don't want to pay big $$ for a "marine" starter. Presumably if you're looking at one of these you know you want it sealed, so you're smart enough not to buy one with big air holes?

I would have bought one of the high performance types off of ebay except that I had two older ones anyway... until I dropped one and a friend broke the other one. I couldn't wait, so I bought one locally, which incidentally is nearly identical to the one that was dropped.

Erik

Robj

Lieutenant

If you think using automotive parts is worth saving a few bucks for, check this out. http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/TP/TP14477/video.htm

If there is any doubt, then do not buy it. For marine applications, buy marine only.

Hate to say it, but erikgreen you are giving poor advice by even suggesting buying a starter that is not marine rated. Nearly identical, but still not marine. Close enough is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades. Safety and liability is not something that you should mess with to save a few $$.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If you think using automotive parts is worth saving a few bucks for, check this out. http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/TP/TP14477/video.htm

If there is any doubt, then do not buy it. For marine applications, buy marine only.

Hate to say it, but erikgreen you are giving poor advice by even suggesting buying a starter that is not marine rated. Nearly identical, but still not marine. Close enough is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades. Safety and liability is not something that you should mess with to save a few $$.

Have a great day,

Rob.
I agree, make sure your new starter is marine rated.....;)

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

This is one of those "every high performance starter I've handled or seen pictures of looks to be completely sealed" statements. I took a look at them based on recommendations here.

You mention "sealed".
What you aren't mentioning is "shielding".
There is a little difference between the two.
If the starter won't pass USCG inspection, it doesn't belong on the water.
A guy posted about the rebuild on the marine starter from his boat.
It had, as I remember it, sixteen different steps/parts in the rebuild different than the auto starter. Inside stuff, as in you can't see it from the outside.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

It all comes down to a SSteel washer that's mounted in behind the bendix, before the motor,........
A $.50 part,........
But,.........

If it Ain't There,........... It Ain't Sealed,......... It Ain't Marine............. It'll cause a Boom......

The Only 1s that are Sealed, by design are the Gear Reduction Starters that are available around the net..............

f_inscreenname

Commander

The Only 1s that are Sealed, by design are the Gear Reduction Starters that are available around the net..............

eBay, new for under a hundred bucks or less.
Like said it doesn't always have to say "Marine" as long as it meets Marine standards.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Maybe we should have a
"Marine Darwin Awards" section. Only way you can become a member is
POSTHUMOUSY.
Using "Almost like marine" parts is a good start.