Merc outboar 800

frabcabert

Cadet
Outboard is stalling when i put it in gear. No its not a sputter or anything like that, It just dies as though someone turned it off. Now someone mentioned something about a switch in the controller (or somewhere) that wont allow the engine to start in gear (which my boat can). Could that switch be causing such a behavior? If so where is it? I have a merc 800 thunderbolt 1969.

thanks in advanced

zsadrian

Recruit
Re: Merc outboar 800

according to the service manual i have the neutral start interlock switch is located in the remote control and is connected to a yellow wire. i hope that helps
cheers

frabcabert

Cadet

Thanks, i will take a look sometime this winter. I Hope this will fix my problem.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The neutral interlock prevents you from operating the starter with the motor in gear. It has nothing to do with the stalling you are seeing.

Most commonly, that problem is caused by dirty or mis adjusted carbs.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

I'd vote for chris's answer, check your carbs, out, maybe give a half turn on the low speed idle circuit screws. However if your looking for electrical, you may still have a mercury switch mounted on your powerhead, its function is to kill the motor, if it tilts up, ie like when you hit a rock etc. If this is hanging loose it too could be the cause of your problem.

frabcabert

Cadet

I'd vote for chris's answer, check your carbs, out, maybe give a half turn on the low speed idle circuit screws. However if your looking for electrical, you may still have a mercury switch mounted on your powerhead, its function is to kill the motor, if it tilts up, ie like when you hit a rock etc. If this is hanging loose it too could be the cause of your problem.

Well, my buddy at one point tilted the motor out of the water while it was running, and the engine didnt die. it just kept going. Maybe its just old...