Merc or Yamaha???

fbait4562

Cadet
I am buying new motors and am having a hard time deciding between the 225 Optimax and the Yamaha 225. Is the gas efficiency really that good on an Optimax?

fbait4562

Cadet
Re: Merc or Yamaha???

Thanks, Mercury has a new deal where they are extending their 2 year warranty to 5 years if you buy before march. I know that's worth over $3K per engine.

its-a-sweater

Seaman

I'd be suspicious of who is underwriting the extended warranties. I know Merc. has their own. Yamaha, I'd be careful. Read the fine print.

abreug2

Cadet

i JUST PURCHASED TWO 225HP Mercs (not the Optimax)and I saved a couple of thousand on each by not going with a Yamaha and I got the factory 5 yr warranty. So far I'm happy with them but I need to run them moe before I can say I'm totaly satisfied. But I did chose Mercury and could have afforded the Yamahas. Everyone I spoke to who had Mercs were happy with them so that helped my decison. However they tend to backfire but my be due to the break in process. The dealer says it's normal.

Diesel

Cadet

Everybody seems to have good deals going this time of year. Up here I have two large Yamaha dealers and the Merc is sold through several small Ma and Pa shops. So I have gone with Yamaha as parts are always in stock. The Merc dealer order in parts for warranty repairs "as needed".<br /><br />That's just my local situation, but is something else to consider too.<br /><br />Good luck with your choice :)

AdamBomb

Recruit

I have run both brands of engine you speak of, and wouldn't even consider going with Mercury over Yamaha. <br /><br />My 24' center console was powered with twin Mercury 135HP outboards. These engines were the most troublesome outboards imaginable. I had them for three months and went through stators, powerpacks, and alarm modules on both engines. Finally, the port engine toasted the bottom cylinder and when it came time to rebuild or repower, I repowered. The replacement engine, OX66 injected 250HP Yamaha, is absolutely fantastic. Instant starts, smooth, efficient, quiet, and low smoke are all that I have dealt with on this motor. I have had her since late October and put 130 hours on her over the fall. I can't say enough about it. From a performance stand point, she is pushing a 4500lb. deep-V boat that usually is carrying 2-3 passengers plus myself. She holds 120 gallons of fuel. My cruise speed at 4000RPM's with the 250HP Yamaha is around 26 knots, and she tops out at 5500RPM's clipping along at 38 knots. Pretty impressive for a heavy boat. From a fuel economy stand point, she is burning about 10 gallons per hour at cruise speed, doing 26 knots. I used to run a 20' Mako with a 1998 Evinrude 150HP. Obviously, the Mako couldn't maintain a speed in a sea like the Sea Ray can, so it would take me longer to get places. With the 250HP Yamaha, I am burning the same fuel on the Sea Ray as I did on the Mako.<br /><br />I had carbed Mercs, and they were gas hogs. I averaged one mile per gallon with those motors.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Tight lines,<br />Adam

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are after the best go Honda, they will allways have parts for these motors.

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a story over at www.insidesportfishing.com about a guys new parker with a yamaha 225 injection he's on his third powerhead @600 hours I've heard plenty of horror storys about the optimax engines as well. I'd seriously consider a pair of Hondas new 200's or 225's if you're interested in reading about the yamaha I'm reffering to the author was FLOMAR he's a regular poster on that board and always willing to share info. I swear my next hole in the water will be an inboard diesel. edit* heres the link: http://www.insidesportfishing.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/81.html# <br /><br /><br />