merc oil injection

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
ok last thread for a lil bit...........promise

so, I often take somewhat long, or offshore trips in my boat, part of that is being in the USCG i get alot of engine expierience, all types(inboard,out,sterndrive) i see what breaks down, what runs good, reliability and so on.
I do not tow in alot of mercs, or mercruisers for that matter. the only thing im concerned about on this motor is the oil injection system. I just went through trouble shooting my alarm system on my boat. Bolth high temp and low oil. But the low oil will only tell me if my oil quantity is low, NOT IF THE PUMP STOPS WORKING! ive seen alot of johnson evinrude VRO system go bad, but never a merc/mariner. Ive always owned small outboards as a kid so i premixed. My dad had a 150 mariner on a bass boat and that thing ran like a top for all the years he had it. how reliable are the oil pumps on the mercs? is it something that should be replaced? is there an alarm that can be put on the oil pump in case of failure or will the high temp come on before the motor fries?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: merc oil injection

I think merc oil injections systems are better than OMC, but I am still a premix guy..then you know its in there.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: merc oil injection

I think merc oil injections systems are better than OMC, but I am still a premix guy..then you know its in there.

+1. Had the system taken off of my Merc XR6--haven't looked back. It's just too easy to premix v having an issue and ruining a good motor.