Merc motor!

geofthro

Seaman
I have a 75hp mrecury outboard,serial-a986440,modle-1075716 and i think its a 1986. I brought it from a local guy who wanted to upgrade to a brand new motor and be done with it.This Motor is very clean and never touched salt water, However! Its down on compression in one of the cylinders which to me it would be other good rebuild candidate for myself! I took it for 200 bucks and stored it since. I later have being imformed that!- This particular outboard with the stripped red and grey metal cover has a real bad reputation for not wanting to idle right after alot of running hours! Even after alot of time and money its still not worth even poking a stick at! Not to sure myself! what do you guys think?? :confused:

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Merc motor!

who ever told you that motor is worthles is just rtying to sell you a new motor. i have the 90hp version and its fine, its a 1988. the idle is pretty shaky on these, they are popular for that, nature of the beast. rebuild it, these motors are very strong for their size. if you dont want it, sell it to me

chadchurchill

Seaman

I have that same motor and love it. Can't say its been totally trouble free, but I've learned a lot on this site about fixing it. Now it runs like a champ and idles perfect. How low is the compression? <br /><br />Where in NH are you?

geofthro

Seaman

Phatmanmike! Do you know the round about price for that merc without looking at it once back in good running order?

geofthro

Seaman

Triplec, Plaistow,Southern NH boarding mass! Can't remember compression reading to be exact! But motor was still running very ruff and very hard to idle before i brought it!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do a compression check yourself & post the results. Better yet - do a compression check - do a thorough decarb - do the second compression test and post the results.<br /><br />If it runs "rough" that may be cured.

geofthro

Seaman

Solittle, Not able to do other compression test untill the weather breaks a little, Unfortunately we're kicking around in snow like your kicking in the sand! I'll give it a go in the next few days and post the results,But from distant memory im sure one of the cylinders was round 12 or 15 below the others.