Merc Inline 150 early 80's

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been giving the opportunity to work on this unit since I have had such great luck with my OMC<br />This motor has been sitting for about 10 yrs in a barn covered and stored correctly but when he bought it they just hung it on and got it running has never run right doesn’t get full RPM never idles to my satisfaction no power but he used it anyway but when your always wondering it can never be a good ride. Finally got him to agree so now I need to set it up correctly.<br />Not a lot of info but what would say a major tune up be.<br /> I'm thinking that the carbs should be at least re sealed as well I haven’t yet done a compression test but what should these numbers be?<br />As I said it is running I think it just needs some one to set her up correctly the 150 I remember seem to have a lot more push then this one has now, even a 90 on virtually the same boat blows it away. Any suggestions would be appreciated I can’t get mine out until I fix his, lost bet.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Merc Inline 150 early 80's

Start with a compression ck, clean the carbs and a fuel pump kit, next install a new w/pump imp/kit. do a sync and link, (clams has a good post on this, ck on search here on iboats) and put her in the creek and give her a go--Bob

Clams Canino

Commander

Search here for my "timing and synch" post. At least clean the carbs and do the fuel pump. Then follow my post.<br /><br />-W

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanx for the help it is great. <br />So here is what I got into today took the carbs off and cleaned them up good copression is all around 120 pretty dam good I think. Check all the carbs to be sure they opened and closed correctly, they now do. Reset the idle screws can't tell where the RPM is since we haven't been able to make a tach work on this motor yet.<br />I'm sad to say this poor motor has sufferd the same way my OMC did very poor workmanship from the people who had her before I found broken bolts studs with nuts that were two big.<br />I got lots of work to do on her but alot will wait for more time next weekend.<br />Clams I found your post and just read it so tommorow I'll work on the timing thanx this is very informative.<br />But I'm happy to report so far she is now running Idleing just fine from my best guess I would say on the muffs at about 800 can't tell for sure but she is starting to run as remember they do, but the important thing is she is no longer missing at idle she needs more work.But it has always surprized me how much clean carbs work. I tried last year to get him to do at least this, but OH no I gots to get on the water.<br />I will work on the other stuff tommorow and put it in the lake for the final setup.