Merc Fuel Valve Question

BuzzM

Seaman
This may be the wrong forum subgroup, but I have a 1982 Sunrunner 245 with a merc 5.7. It has twin saddle fuel tanks and orginally had an electric tank switch solenoid that said " not for marine use ". I replaced it with a manual 3 way valve so I can select either tank or turn off. It is mounted on the bulkhead in front of the engine., down in the compartment
My concern is, that in the event of an engine compartment fire, I may be unable to shut off the fuel supply ( before I jump overboard ), after opening
the covers.
Does someone make a simple on / off 12v valve that is approved for marine use and how would I install it, if so?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc Fuel Valve Question

The antisiphon valve in the top of the tank will prevent fuel from siphoining out of the tank. It does close off the fuel supply when there is no suction from a fuel pump.

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure the construction of your boat, but you should never open the engine compartment when on fire. There is usually a fire port to blow the extinguisher into. At least the boats I have experience with. And I never had to use it (knock on my head)

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

The fire port sounds like a nice idea, but there is nothing like that on my 91 Glastron. I would have to open the engine compartement to get an extinguisher in there.
The correct technique is to only open the compartment enough to squirt the fire extinguisher in, do not fully open it as you are letting in more oxygen and the fire will become even more intense..

Gary