Merc flywheel removal

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do you remove the flywheel on a 1975 merc 4.5hp. I removed the centre nut and I though it would be it, but it wont budge. Is there something I am missing?

accord_guy

Seaman
Re: Merc flywheel removal

You can use a harmonic balancer puller. <br /> I paid $9.99 for one at Pepboys. I have a <br /> 77 4.5 that I've completely rebuilt.

lasser

Cadet

does that harmonic balancer puller work on a '82 70hp merc flywheel....

phatmanmike

Captain

if you have small bolt holes around the inner edge of the flywheel, near the crankshaft.....yes<br /><br />they work on almost any flywheel and can be had for around 10 dollars

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies, I'll get a harmonic balancer puller on the weekend.

bbalcer

Seaman

When you put it back on you may need something better to hold the flywheel when you torque the nut back down. I had to spend about $5 on steel to make myself a flywheel holder using the 3 bolts that thread onto the flywheel. I've got a 115HP Mariner that needed about 150lbf of torque. There is a tool sold by the maunfacturer but is a bit more than $5. Good luck.

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Putting a flywheel back on...<br /><br />This works for me, but I'm very careful to take it slow, and not slice up the line on the cylinder ports/piston interface.<br /><br />Before replacing the flywheel I feed some cotton line into a piston, in a circular patern, which effectively stops the piston from reaching TDC as the flywheel nut turns the crankshaft while tightening the nut. I torgue the flywheel nut, and then back off the nut, taking pressure off the line, and I fish the line back out (since I left an end hanging out of the sparkplug hole.)<br /><br />I've never had a problem doing it this way, but I can see putting a steel holder on the exterior of the flywheel might be a lot smarter than my method.<br /><br />fp

Paul Moir

Admiral

SmokerOwner, could you describe that tool a bit? I'm picturing a peice of plate with a large hole in the center for the nut and three satillite slots/holes for the screws. What thickness plate did you use, etc?<br /><br />Thanks!