Merc Experts

Marlinman10

Seaman
Is there a good book out there about MERC Outboards that gives specs such as HP,Weight,Yr's ? I just want to learn more about the different models. I have a 1964 Merc 650 that has a dead cylinder so I'm going to part it out. I've owned Evinrude,Johnson and Yamaha outboards and this dead merc. I've always liked the looks and the sound of them. I would like to have a 85 to 100HP model. I also need one with a good amp output. I will have a bait pump that draws 2 to 3 amps and a VHF that draws about a half amp. At night of course I would be using running lights. I really don't want to have to put my Battery on charge the night before. I know the old outboards don't put out much juice. Is there a year or HP that I should stay away from? :) If you were looking for a HP in my range what HP and year would you be looking for. I also need a long shaft. Thanks for your help.
Mike

P.S. I forgot to tell you it will be mounted on a 1964 Glasspar Sportsman.

Attachments

• 1964 Glasspar sportsman 009.jpg
    1964 Glasspar sportsman 009.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc Experts

to properly maintain a battery it need to be charged overnite. most motors, are designed to maintain the starting battery, you should have separate deep cycle battery for the other stuff. i'm a J/E man, but just bought a 1966 50 merc, for a project. what is the reason for your dead cylinder, usually 3 things, spark, fuel, compression. compression is the hardest to fix.

Marlinman10

Seaman

I'll agree with you on two batteries but I had a Yamaha 130 on a 18" center console that I never had to put the batteries on a charger. The charging system would keep my batteries up no problem. I would check them once or twice a year and never had a problem.
Mike

Marlinman10

Seaman

I forgot to tell you my merc has no compression in #3 cylinder. I don't want to fix it. I put seafoam in it a couple of times but no luck. I removed the side inspection plate and found I could move the piston up and down in the cylinder with my finger. It looks like some scoring on it too. It's too old and not really worth fixing to me. I'm going to part it out.
Mike